Ch37. Uncuffed

Jisoo was on her knees cradling and cooing over a sobbing Jennie when they had to part.

She did not struggle when the police came to handcuff her wrists behind her back and pull her away from Jennie, she merely insisted on ducking her head to find Jennie's eyes and give her a soft smile and a light kiss on the cheek, "I'll be back before you know it. Stay with the cops, hmm?"

Then Jennie's panicky hands were forcefully pried off Jisoo's neck as Jisoo was hoisted to her feet and taken away like a criminal, yet still constantly craning her head back to smile reassuringly at Jennie every few steps down the garden path.

Hauled away with her future at stake, how on earth could Jisoo still be so sensitive towards Jennie? Each time Jisoo turned back to look at her was one more time Jennie's heart was stabbed with guilt.

Just thinking about the fatigue Jisoo must be hiding behind that beautiful smile, the pain she must be enduring from her bloodied arms to hug Jennie close, and the sad longing in her promise to be by Jennie's side, Jennie hated herself for owing Jisoo more than she knew how to pay for.

And Jennie's tears continued to stream uncontrollably down her cheeks, no longer because of what had happened to her, but because of what was going to happen to Jisoo. What did an arrest mean for a lawyer-to-be? Nothing good, that was for sure.

----------

"Thank you," Jennie murmured as Lisa pushed a paper cup of warm water into her hands, which she realized were still trembling, albeit a lot less.

"Don't thank me, thank Jisoo," Lisa sat in the plastic chair beside Jennie and cracked a smile, hoping to lighten her friend's heart, "How are you feeling now?" Wrapping an arm around Jennie, she then let the brunette rest her head tiredly against her shoulder.

"Shaken, but glad to still be alive," Jennie sighed and pulled the provided blanket tighter around her torso, "and unharmed." She felt Lisa squeeze protectively around her shoulders, and she could not resist a small smile despite the situation. "Thanks Lisa, for being here."

Rubbing her hand along her best friend's arm, Lisa hummed, "Anytime, Jen." She chuckled warmly as her eyes landed on her girlfriend who was standing outside the glass doors looking all serious on the phone, "I'll just have to take Rosé out on a make-up date."

Not wanting to worry her mother, Jennie had opted for Lisa when the policewoman earlier had requested to contact her next of kin. Then Lisa very nearly went into a cardiac arrest upon hearing the almost-rape news, and her date Rosé had to rocket their way to the police station in record time. When they arrived, the brunette had considerably calmed down to be able to fill them in on what had happened in the garden, deciding to leave out details of her work and the incident in Joohee's suite because her best friend already looked like she was about to burst a blood vessel with the curses flying out of her mouth in rage.

Now, with Jennie's statement taken, they were waiting for the rest of the paperwork and, as much as nobody said it aloud, praying silently for Jisoo's release from custody without assault charges. Jennie really did not want to dwell on the dreadfully real possibility of jailtime for Jisoo – she was not sure she could survive the guilt.

"What's that smell? Is that..." Lisa had her nose in Jennie's hair and was now noisily sniffing Jennie's head that was on her shoulder, jolting the brunette from her thoughts, "...red wine?"

Embarrassed, Jennie quickly jerked her head up from its resting position on Lisa's shoulder, and anxiously patted her hair and racked her brain on how to best answer without erupting the volcano in her best friend, "Umm...."

Thankfully, she was saved by Rosé, who slumped into the seat next to Lisa and huffed in exhaustion, "Her dad is shocked and her lawyer is on his way." She dragged her palms down her face and leant her head back against the wall to face the ceiling; it seemed there was a lot on her mind.