Ch4. In Class and At Lunch

It was only the second day of school, and Jisoo was enjoying every minute of it. Being a transfer student neither intimidated nor impeded Jisoo in any way. In fact, she was used to the limelight. Back in Stanford, she was already a high-flyer, one of those popular all-rounded students without ever trying to be one. Now, it was pretty much the same, except she constantly heard herself being referred to as the transfer student instead of Jisooperstar, or Jistar for short. Maybe they would give her a new alias here.

Jisoo took a last glance around the abode to ensure she had grabbed everything she needed, before exiting the penthouse. Her residence was within twenty minutes of leisure-walking distance from the edge of campus, and was in what was known as the "money street", where luxurious dwellings stood.

Her phone buzzed in the pocket of her jeans.

"Hey Dad, what's up?"

"Jisoo ya, how are things in the new school? UCLA, is it?"

"Yeah. It's cool, same old same old."

"That's good, I knew you'd fit right in. Have you found the one yet?"

Jisoo bit her lower lip, "Not yet, but honing in on a few possible ones."

"No worries, Jisoo, take all the time you need. I believe you will find her soon."

Jisoo could almost hear her Dad smiling at the other end of the line, and she relaxed, "Thanks Dad."

"Alright, talk to you again, Jisoo ya. Call me if you need anything."

"I will. See you." With that, Jisoo hung up the call that made her mind wander off to Jennie and the events that morning. She smiled at the memory of Jennie's beautifully stunned face and how Jennie's body felt in her arms.

Jisoo reached the lecture hall for Ethics in Law 201 at precisely 815am, and found Jennie already there in her usual front-row seat, reading a book and oblivious to everything else.

----------

Jennie looked up at the large round clock.

810am.

The lecture hall was void of life, with only the low humming of the air-conditioning barely heard. Jennie strolled down the steps towards the front row as she kept her earphones in her bag.

Nestled comfortably in her usual seat, Jennie was so deep into the paper on normative judgment that she failed to sense the presence of another.

"May I?"

"Oh Jesus!" Jennie jumped in her seat and exclaimed with her eyes wide and her hands on her heart. "You startled me!"

"Clearly I did," the offender standing next to Jennie's seat laughed softly, before extending a slender hand with perfectly trimmed and buffed nails, "I'm sorry, but you can call me Jisoo."

Jennie rolled her eyes and sighed, but played along anyway, "I'm unamused, but call me Jennie." Not wanting to come off as rude on their first proper introduction, Jennie threw in her gummy grin for good measure. They shook hands and it reminded Jennie of how warm Jisoo's arms felt against her body that very morning on the track.

"Good choice, Jennie. Unamused is too hard to pronounce often."

Jennie chuckled, shaking her head as she thought about the similar banter in the wee morning. Should I thank her again for that heroic save? Should I ask about how she came to know my name? Or, perhaps, I should not say anything at all for now?

She snapped out of her trance when she heard a throat being cleared, then she looked over only to see Jisoo raise her brows and cock her head questioningly towards the seat beside Jennie. Silky hair brushed to one side and draped over her shoulder, Jisoo had a side of her neck exposed, milky skin flawless and inviting. And, she was still standing.