Ch14. Night under the Stars

Jennie frowned at the butt-spanking sight that triggered her in the pits of her stomach. For a moment, she almost cursed aloud and had wanted to stride over to stand beside Jisoo for some reason. Maybe sling an arm around Jisoo too. Wait, what?? She did not have time to think about this unsettling feeling, because then Lisa wiggled her eyebrows and asked loudly through the pounding music, "So... you and Jisoo huh?"

Jennie peeled her attention away from the bar to look at her friend. "What about me and Jisoo?" She propped her head up with an elbow on the backrest of the sofa, head dizzy from the alcohol, the adrenaline and those weird emotions swimming inside.

"C'mon...," Lisa rolled her eyes and gestured with her hands like something was exaggeratedly obvious, "I've never seen you dance like that with anybody else, ever."

"So?" Jennie shrugged, trying to appear as nonchalant as possible.

"So," Lisa slung her arm over the backrest behind Jennie, lifting her brows questioningly, "do you have the hots for the girl?"

There they were again, those sincere, concerned eyes that Jennie could never lie to. Deflating with a long sigh, Jennie gulped down the contents of her glass, left brain struggling to string the jumbled emotional thoughts into an answer.

Twirling the stem of her cocktail glass between her fingers, she involuntarily turned her gaze to the bar, where Jisoo was nodding with an open-mouth smile at the animated Rose while Joohee leant unnecessarily against Jisoo's shoulder with a drink in hand. Jennie looked away – the weird emotions were bubbling again within her and she tried hard to ignore them.

It was strange to be having such an honest conversation in such a loud setting, but alcohol had a tendency to make you do it anyway. So, Jennie inched closer to Lisa to reduce the shouting needed, "Well... I do find her attractive, beyond her looks and flirting. Like, at times she can be so... I don't know, caring?" She shook her head, not sure if she was making sense, "I guess you can say I enjoy her company."

Humming in response, Lisa nodded thoughtfully and, to Jennie's surprise, remained rather calm. Jennie took this time to glance back at the bar, regretting it immediately when she saw Jisoo's arm around the waist of Joohee who had a palm on Jisoo's chest and was laughing wildly with her head thrown back at something Jisoo had said.

Jennie unknowingly slammed her empty glass on the table and crossed her arms, leaning back into the sofa and resting her head against the backrest so she was looking at the night sky through the glass roof, a sight far more pleasant than what she had just witnessed. Unaware that her friend had been observing her, Jennie heard Lisa chuckle, "Jealous? You know she isn't yours, right?" Jennie wanted to deny, when Lisa continued, "But you can always make her yours."

Jennie rolled her eyes silently with her head still on the backrest, until Lisa put up her hand and suggested, "You know what? Let me help."

Widening her eyes in fear as Lisa climbed up to stand on the seat, Jennie heard her crazy tipsy friend shout across, "Oi!! Jisoo! Jennie here lik – smmmm" just in time as Jennie's hand shot up to cover the blabbering mouth and pull Lisa down. They plopped back on to the sofa and Jennie pointed a warning finger at Lisa as she slowly retracted the hand on Lisa's mouth, "Don't you dare." It was not like Lisa could possibly shout over the blaring music to be heard from the bar, but Jennie really did not want to complicate matters, especially when she had not sorted out her mind.

Lisa only laughed and giggled and engulfed Jennie in a tight hug, "You. Are. So. Into. Her."

Huffing out in annoyance as a small smile crept irritatingly on her own face, Jennie pushed Lisa's forehead, "I need some air, be right back. You okay here alone?" Lisa nodded giggly and waved her off, before raising her drink at Jennie and downing it. Assured that Lisa was sober enough to stay safe, Jennie took a last glance at the bar before navigating through the sea of people and out the doors at the back.