Ch52. Farewell

When she managed to pull herself together and parted with her coach, Jisoo was left alone with her dangerously spiraling thoughts, but not for long because there was a knock on the door.

She sighed, out of relief or defeat, she was not sure. She inhaled and plastered on a small smile. "Come in."

Unfortunately, it was not whom she was most hoping for. It was Inspector Dong. "Hi, Miss Kim."

"Hey... Where's Jennie? Is she done with the police's questioning?"

"Yes. She's outside. If it's okay with you, can I take your statement first before she visits?" His passivity could easily be mistaken for a cruel lack of sympathy for victims and patients, but Jisoo understood he was just doing his job, so she nodded.

"Thank you," he sat upright in the chair which her coach was in earlier. He glanced at her casted leg. "Firstly, I'm sorry for what happened," he stated.

For a moment, she thought she saw an emotion flit through his eyes, and she wondered if he knew the gravity of her injury.

"Secondly, thank you."

So he knows that I let the bastard go on purpose. She hummed and went with the flow. "Is the lead any good?"

"Yes," he nodded, "yes, it is."

There was an unusual pause. A man like him never minced on his words, but this time, it was almost as if he did not want to be there taking her statement.

"Is Jennie okay?" Jisoo ventured. Even with the bodyguards, she could not stop worrying about the brunette. It was a bad habit she was not sure she could kick anytime soon. Oh, the irony.

He nodded, "Yes, she has had too much laxatives, however, so the doctor prescribed her some pills to counter that. She thought it was a mere case of food poisoning until the doctor told her otherwise. It may seem someone has spiked her bottle of water, we'll be running tests to confirm this."

No wonder she was gone for so long...

"I see," Jisoo murmured in thought as an idea hit her. "Hey, has your team run tests on items at the burglary crime scene in Jennie's place?"

"Standard fingerprint tests on the weapons found. Why?"

Snapshots of memories flashed before Jisoo. "There was a bowl of unfinished noodles, an opened bottle of water, and...," she closed her eyes and recalled, "some banana peels."

Inspector Dong kept his gaze on her, with a very slight raise of an eyebrow.

"Could her water be spiked too? Ms. Park doesn't have high blood pressure, but she somehow consumed a large amount of it that night," Jisoo was almost mumbling to herself. "If she had taken enalapril with too much potassium, that would explain her fainting like she had a heart attack..."

"Miss Kim, I don't quite follow."

With widening eyes, Jisoo snapped her fingers in epiphany, "That's it!" She turned to look at Inspector Dong, "Enalapril is the active chemical in high blood pressure pills, and potassium is aplenty in bananas. If you ingest both of them in potent dosages, you could go into severe heart palpitations, like a heart attack! Someone must have spiked a bottle with those pills and given it to her along with bananas!"

The man's eyes darted left and right in thought, before taking his phone out of his jeans pocket and standing. "I'll get my guys to look into it." He stood by the window and relayed instructions through the phone, and then settled back into the plastic chair by Jisoo's bed.

"If what you're implying is true, it's not an innocent burglary," he frowned. "Someone seems to have a good hold of both legal and illegal drugs and is using them to get what he or she wants."