Ch8. Night in the Dormitory

The white noise from the hairdryer stopped, followed by sounds of a drawer opening and closing as Lisa stowed the electrical appliance neatly away. She was certain Jennie would make a fuss otherwise – she learnt this the hard way.

She brushed her hair as she plopped down on her room-mate's bed, promptly earning a side-glance from Jennie.

"Relax," Lisa waved a hand at Jennie. "It's not like I'm moulting."

"Sometimes I hate myself for putting up with you," Jennie shook her head and willfully tore her eyes away from the hair strands on her bed to the assignment in front of her. She had been seated at her desk since half an hour ago after her shower, barely making any progress in her homework.

With a sigh, she began gathering her papers and stationery.

"Omo! You're done with that?" Lisa asked in disbelief.

"Nope," Jennie popped the 'p', packing her writing materials tidily into her bag without looking up. "I'll continue tomorrow. Too exhausted to think right now." Truthfully, dance was not that tiring; she was simply too distracted to get anything done right now, so she moved to her bed and collapsed next to her cross-legged friend.

Lisa dropped her head to look down at her friend who was staring vacantly at the ceiling.

"Oh, then it sure is time for some light-hearted chit-chat, about like... I don't know... Jisoo?" Lisa sniggered deviously.

"God, kill me now," Jennie groaned and threw an arm over her eyes.

Ignoring her friend's whines, Lisa commenced the interrogation, "Question one. What was that secret morning meeting with Jisoo about?"

Jennie sighed audibly, "I was going for my usual run, and she was already there at the track. It's not a secret meeting."

When it fell quiet for too long, Jennie moved her arm off her eyes, only to be blinded by a bright light shining directly upon her face. "Hey!" She squinted and swatted uselessly in front of her.

"You never say hi to strangers. Something must have happened for you two to be acquainted. Out with it," Lisa's voice was monotonous. She was clearly enjoying being the bad cop, with no good cop to restrain her.

Jennie contemplated hiding the truth, but quickly decided against it – she never made it past Lisa and doubted it would be any different this time. She huffed in annoyance, sat up and snatched Lisa's phone from her hand, switching the torchlight function off and blinking slowly to let her vision adjust.

"Alright, alright, I tripped and she caught me, so I thanked her and we became friends." She gave Lisa her best nonchalant face, but of course that did nothing to deter Lisa from flailing her arms around Jennie, gasping and squealing madly into Jennie's ear.

"Great – now I'm blind and deaf," Jennie squeezed her eyes shut and covered her left ear. "Will you please calm your titties?"

Lisa completely paid no heed to Jennie as she gushed, "Oh my god! You were actually saved by a gallant embrace from the Kim Jisoo! Then she confessed to you at your romantic rendezvous outside the dance studio, she said you brought her there and she wanted you!"

Suddenly she pulled Jennie into a suffocating hug as she sighed in a love-stricken way, "She's so romantic... You are so gonna get laid."

"No, Lisa, she did not say that. And I am not getting laid. Stop being crazy and let me go," Jennie rolled her eyes and hoped she sounded unaffected enough to mask the growing blush she felt in her cheeks. She sucked her lips in to repress the stupid grin that was threatening to grow. You too, Jennie, stop it!

Jennie heaved a sigh of relief as Lisa uncoiled her arms from her body. They sat there, shoulder to shoulder, looking at each other silently.

Just when Jennie was about to be creeped out, Lisa chirped, "You guys look so cute together. Do you like her?"

Jennie released a loud groan and started sulking, "Save me, somebody. Can't we talk about something else?"

"What? It's just an innocent question from your caring best friend. Don't tell me you're completely unaffected by her," Lisa poked an irritating finger in Jennie's puffed-out cheek. "Besides, you have never dated, Jen."

That was true, Jennie had to admit. Out of the countless suitors mesmerized by her, she had responded to a lucky few, only to stop after each first date. They were nice people whom she found not many faults in, but neither could she find enough reason to keep at it. Maybe she simply was uninterested in relationships? That was her line whenever her mother or friends pried, although deep down she knew that was just a fraction of the full story, unbeknownst to the world.

The truth of the matter was that her mother was and always would be her priority. Growing up on scrap food from restaurant leftovers and hand-me-downs from charity, little Jennie understood her mother was struggling to make ends meet even with two jobs. So, she never clamoured for toys or snacks, and quietly spent her time in school, housework, and tattered books.

On several occasions, little Jennie and her mother had been thrown out of their small rented room, along with angry swearing and dirty looks and hurtful insults. Each time, she would watch her mother apologize profusely with a deep bow, enduring every spit and bite. And when the begging failed, her mother would smile at her, take her hand and carry their bags to the shelter, until she found a better job or a cheaper place to stay, or both if they got lucky.

Little Jennie thought her mother was always happy, until one night she saw her cry by the road outside the shelter, and it was the saddest, most helpless that Jennie had ever felt. She then had an excruciating revelation – it must have been the umpteenth time her mother hid her tears from her.

Now, little Jennie was all grown up, with a full-ride scholarship and perfect GPA. Since 16, she had been teaching dance during the weekends for income, and her mother had since dropped one of her jobs. A few more years and she would be able to alleviate them from the pitiful looks and judgmental disdain they were used to receiving.

Having a relationship would not only distract her, but also risk having the same pity and scorn thrown at her mother, and Jennie certainly was not going to let that happen. Not a chance.

"Yoohoo!" Lisa snapped her fingers in Jennie's face, bringing her back to the present.

Jennie shook her head to clear the reminiscence, "Sorry, what were you saying?"

Lisa tutted in disapproval, "Tsk, you're avoiding again." She sighed, "Look, all I'm saying is that I think it's time you let someone in, to love you and for you to love in return, Kim Jisoo or not."

From the softness in Lisa's eyes and tone, it was clear she genuinely had Jennie's best interests at heart, and Jennie instinctively raised her thumbs to glide over her friend's brows, smoothing out the creases. She always had a soft spot for Lisa.

Jennie closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. Here goes nothing. "Wealmostkissed."

When Jennie opened her eyes, Lisa had her head tilted and brows furrowed in confusion. Then it registered, clearly from Lisa's widening eyes and dropping jaw. Before her friend could pester her for details, Jennie leant her head against the wall, put up her hand and exhaled, "It happened before Lit. We were just talking and waiting for class to start and then suddenly she was leaning in and for some bizarre reason I froze and when it was about to happen she got a call."

Lisa had not moved a muscle, complete with gaping mouth and eyes like saucers. There was a long pause filled with silent staring again. When Jennie was about to give up, Lisa articulated slowly, "You. Are. So. Gonna. Get. Laid."

Rolling her eyes, Jennie lifted Lisa's jaw to close.

If she was being honest, she was attracted to Jisoo in an unexplainable way. Whether it was by her charm or her wits or her beauty or her flirting or something else altogether, Jisoo undoubtedly had a way to rattle her heart's cage and stir the pits of her stomach. It was unprecedented, irrational and dangerous, yet simultaneously exhilarating.

Jennie wiped her palms roughly across her face.

Lisa's question – could my answer possibly be a 'yes'? Oh god.