Ch45. Don't Love and Leave

From the bleachers, Jennie watched the soccer team practise, dribbling in complicated formations to end off with a variety of fancy shots at the goal. Her mind was still brewing from the chat she had with Lisa, who was sitting next to her and cheering her girlfriend on rather embarrassingly, from the way Rosé was blushing amidst her teammates' teasing nudges. Jisoo had looked over her shoulder several times and caught Jennie staring, and the raven had smiled, but it was not the confident smirk or eye contact Jennie was used to – it was tamer, held longer, and just more of... longing.

Perhaps it was the kind of smile one would give upon realizing that time could not be bought, that all parties would end, that she should not cry because it was over, but smile because it happened.

Jennie was not sure whose smile she was describing anymore. She sighed.

If Lisa had heard, she did not point it out. "You'll be here on Friday, right?"

"Hmm? Why?" Jennie absentmindedly replied without turning. The more she observed Jisoo kick, run, laugh, and play, the more she doubted if the girl knew pain at all, with all those bandages hidden under her jersey.

"The game? Against their arch nemesis? That's why they're training so hard."

Oh, right. It was the day before Jisoo would become just a beautiful memory.

Would her exit be as grand as her entrance? This time, instead of strutting up in Mrs. Park's class with a wink and a smirk and strutting into Jennie's life, would Jisoo be walking down the podium raising the trophy with her triumphant team and walking out of the brunette's world?

Will I miss her as tirelessly, as completely, as painstakingly as she has been protecting me?

Jennie looked up at the dusk sky, where the stars were starting to emerge now that the moon was out to watch over them.

"Yeah... yeah I think I will."

Lisa nodded and continued cheering, pleased with Jennie's response and oblivious to the question the brunette was really answering.

In the distance, the coach was debriefing the team when Lisa abruptly climbed to her feet. "Nature calls, be right back," she grunted, holding her tummy and speeding to the restroom, "you all better wait for me!"

Jennie chuckled and waved her off dismissively. To pass time, she began scouting out the players in sequence of their jersey numbers starting from her favourite number '1', which by apparent soccer tradition usually went to the goalkeeper.

When she came to '4', she let her eyes linger a little longer on the raven in a one-on-one discussion with the coach. It was a throwback moment for her as she noticed the player's focused expression and attentive nods, the snug jersey drenched and clinging tightly onto the girl's muscles, and that high ponytail with unruly strands that had escaped the hair-tie only to look unfairly sexy.

Wait, what? Look away now, Jennie.

It was not her favourite number, but Jisoo was definitely her favourite player.

Okay, enough. Focus and find #5!

But Jennie was struggling to pick out jersey number '5' amongst the other players who had been dismissed and were all packing up and strolling in different directions. Her eyes were intently scouring the field when Lisa plopped back down beside her.

"Your stomach okay?" Jennie asked as she kept her gaze sweeping ahead, persistent in picking out '5'.

"I guess?" It was not Lisa, however.

Alarmed, Jennie whipped her head to the side but swiftly exhaled when she realized who it was. "Oh, hey Rosé, I thought you were Lisa or some...," she trailed off, unsure how to word it.