Ch39. Win or Lose

Jisoo was in the passenger seat, next to Rosé behind the wheel, while Jennie and Lisa were sound asleep at the back.

Lisa had fallen asleep while waiting for Jennie to get into the vehicle and start a karaoke session with her. And with her best friend snoring lightly next to her, Jennie easily succumbed to exhaustion soon after too.

Relieved that the brunette was thus far undisturbed by nightmares, Jisoo drew out a long sigh as she turned back around to face the front.

Rosé spared Jisoo a moment's glance, "I presume that sigh has something to do with the talk you two had in the carpark?"

Shutting her eyes and leaning her head back, Jisoo pinched her nose bridge and deflated with another sigh, "I don't get it, Rosé. I thought she loved me."

"Doesn't she?" Rosé sounded equally bewildered.

Jisoo kept her eyes closed as she removed her hand from her nose and let it fall limply on her lap. "Well, she neither accepted nor rejected my confessions," she shrugged. "Go figure."

"Woah, confessions. Plural," Rosé shot Jisoo a grin, "that's a first for you."

Breaking into a smile, Jisoo scoffed, "I know right. You know what else is a first for me? Getting rejected."

The best friends shared a little chuckle and then a comfortable silence, as the raven turned to look at the trees whizzing past beside her.

With a deep exhale, she broke the silence. "I guess she thinks I don't truly love her, considering that I had previously chosen someone else over her," her voice was slow and pensive as she breathed against the window. "And she thinks that even if there isn't anyone else between us, we won't work out... because we come from two different worlds." She caught herself shrugging in the reflection.

"She may not be wrong about the last part, Unnie," Rosé kept her eyes on the road but reached out a hand to squeeze Jisoo's fingers. "And... it's probably safer for her to live in a world that's not ours." The undercurrent of her words was apparent between both agents — leading a double life cloaked in secrecy was never easy.

Jisoo peeled her eyes from the window, in time to see her best friend press her lips into a flat line and swallow hard. When Rosé glanced back at her, Jisoo returned a sympathetic smile and a squeeze to Rosé's hand before it resumed its position on the wheel.

The raven decided to steer the conversation and the mood to something less painful for the both of them. "Speaking of which, I suspect," Jisoo took a glimpse of the knocked-out passengers in the backseat and subconsciously dialed down further to a whisper, "the sister has a hand in tonight's incident."

Mouthing an 'o', Rosé raised her brows in surprise before scrunching them, "Wait, we've the suspect and the weapon, but... motive? Can it be inheritance?"

"I don't think so – she clearly has little interest in inheriting the business, otherwise her father wouldn't have had to wait this long for a successor. Plus, if she really intends to weed out competition, she could have jolly well hired a hitman a long time ago. Why wait till now only to get a druggie rapist instead?"

"True, it doesn't make sense," Rosé hummed in thought, then suddenly gasped, "unless..." She trailed off with her mouth agape and occasional glances at the raven.

Nodding slowly, Jisoo was confident they were on the same page even without complete sentences.

"... she wants to play games. Like you said chaebols do," Rosé finished.

"Exactly," Jisoo exhaled through her nose and shook her head slightly. "But, why the games?" She raked a hand through her hair in rising exasperation, "And there I was, believing that it was her mother behind the scenes."