Ch28. Say It Isn't So

Jennie could not believe her ears, her eyes, and everything that was happening right now. Her heart had been smashed into smithereens by Jisoo's rejection, but she had to keep it together because it really was not Jisoo's fault she did not love her the way she wanted her to.

Her mind needed time and space to clear, without physical contact with the girl she could not have, so Jennie retreated again and again, her hands clawing the sand behind her to drag herself away from Jisoo's touches. She made a conscious effort to regulate her breathing and calm herself so as to give Jisoo a fair response, something that the raven deserved.

It is not her fault that she cannot find it in her heart to reciprocate my feelings, and that should be okay. Really, it's okay, it's okay, it's okay.

Taking a deep breath, Jennie was almost ready to face Jisoo again until her phone vibrated out of her purse and slid on to the sand, and her fingers accidentally tapped on the screen to reveal that the night could get so much worse than what it already was.

Her chat with Lisa filled the screen and it seemed Lisa had been sending her a string of messages, but what really caught Jennie's eyes was the screenshot of Joohee's social media – it had a photo of Jisoo in her white jersey kit, smiling with her ponytail high in the wind. Underneath that was a caption that read "Girlfriend", punctuated with a red heart symbol.

So, this is why Jisoo can't be with me. She has chosen Joohee instead, and all this while I've been made a complete fool.

It was nothing different from a tight slap across her face – she had been thoroughly played by Kim Jisoo. She should have heeded the warnings her left brain had been sending her, how Jisoo was a notorious flirt, how Jisoo was an unobtainable star, how every word from Jisoo's mouth must have been recycled and reused in sweet nothings with a past fling, one-night stand, girlfriend, date, lover, whatever. She should have recognized the red flags, she should have known that all this was a freaking game to an infamous player like Jisoo, full of lies and facades.

She should have known, she should have known, she should have known; but the saddest truth was that even if she had known, Jennie was certain she would have still fallen head first in love with Kim Jisoo. And now she was going to pay the hefty, cruel price in this self-inflicted tragedy.

Jisoo was on her knees trying to hold Jennie, but Jennie scooted further away with each of Jisoo's advances. "Please, Jennie...," Jisoo had the cheek to plead, making Jennie scoff in disbelief and throw her phone at Jisoo's chest with a thud and it fell face-up onto the sand.

Turning her attention to the bright screen, Jisoo's eyes widened in terror and her voice was hoarse with shock, "God, I swear I know nothing of this post! Jennie, this is all Joohee!"

Jennie wanted to believe her, she truly did, but words meant nothing anymore, she needed Jisoo to prove it. Chuckling bitterly, Jennie challenged, "Then ask her to take it down. Or comment on it, say it's all a hoax, it isn't real."

There was a tense pause. As expected, Jennie was disappointed once again, as Jisoo did nothing but rake her hands through her hair and groaned in agony, "Jennie, I... I can't, because –"

"Stop!" Jennie burst out, into the sounds of crashing waves that tumbled repeatedly like her boiling shame and anger she could not control any longer. She felt so used and humiliated. "Jisoo, just... stop," she pushed her palms out to halt Jisoo in her tracks, and closed her eyes to will her indignant tears to disappear.

She could almost hear her own heart shred into pieces, the tear ripping through her entire chest.

"You know what?" she forced out a small, shaky, defeated breath, "You win, Jisoo. You got me real good. Go ahead, add one to your list of conquests."