Ch53. Game Over

430am.

Jisoo peered out the windshield at the looming train station. It was dark and there was hardly anyone around. The sky was overcast, like it would storm anytime soon, and the wind howled for evacuation.

This is it.

She unclipped her seatbelt and slung on her bag, checking everything once over. When the car rolled to a stop at the drop-off, she turned to her driver with a grateful smile. "Thanks, Inspector. Good luck on your cases. Maybe we'll run into each other again someday, let's hope it's at neither the station nor the hospital."

Inspector Dong pulled up his lips into the closest thing to a smile Jisoo had seen from him, "All the best, Miss Kim. You know where to find me."

With a nod, Jisoo pushed open the car door and heaved herself onto her crutches. The pain shot up sharply from her legs, causing Jisoo to let out a groan and stay motionless till it passed. When it did, she panted out the breath she was holding and closed the car door. She marched on without looking back, one painful step at a time, one pathetic limp at a time.

The street lamps were few and far between, and there were several times Jisoo almost slipped in this poor lighting. She was about 50 yards from the station's elevators when she saw three silhouettes approaching. Not wanting any trouble, she pulled her cap lower and trudged on without slowing down.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk."

Jisoo's ears perked at the sound and she looked up from below her cap. Without stopping in her tracks, she tried to identify the faces shadowed under the three hoodies ahead. A streak of lightning cracked across the sky and lit up the world for an instant, but not enough. The thunder roared in its wake.

"Oh Jisoo, Jisoo, why have you become so predictable? It's no fun now."

Jisoo halted with a chill down her spine. Unfortunately, she could recognize that high-pitched voice anywhere. She clenched her jaws and tightened her grip on her crutches.

"If only you were this easy a year ago." The silhouettes stepped into the light and unveiled the wicked triumphant grin that the person in the middle was wearing.

They were now standing in the same circumference of light from the same street lamp Jisoo was under, and it was way too close for comfort. Like a pail toppled over, rain fell upon them in a heavy shower.

"What do you want? It's game over for you, done, set, cast in stone! There is nothing you can do now to stop Jennie from being found," Jisoo spat through gritted teeth. "Let it go, Joohee."

There was a pause, as they listened to the roaring wind and the frenzied pitter patter of the storm. They were getting soaked to the bones.

Then, suddenly, Joohee burst out in a shrilling bout of manic laughter, clutching her stomach like what she just heard was a big, fat joke.

"See? You don't remember!" Joohee laughed hysterically some more, and then her face fell in a blink of an eye. "You're too much of a flirt to remember."

"Wha... what are you talking about?" Jisoo raised her voice above the rain. All of these did not make any sense to her, but Joohee did not seem to care.

"Quite frankly, I would ruin your other leg too, but... look at you," Joohee clucked her tongue and shook her head as if she pitied the raven. "Pathetic."

Another bolt of lightning split from the heavens and before Jisoo could react, Joohee had cocked her head towards one of her men, who promptly stepped up and snatched Jisoo's crutches to fling them onto the middle of the road. Jisoo staggered and maintained her balance, but not for long because Joohee seemed to find shoving an unsupported cripple very fun.