Chapter 15: Retribution

"Brasil isn't going to quite make it...he looks malnourished" Princess said, staring at the boys

"hmm..well sometimes it's not about whose best...it's about whose hungrier...quite literally.." Cut throat said, eyeing the Brasilian boy staring up in fear at his Nigerian counterpart who was clearly older and physically better developed in comparison.

"What was he in for?" K.O. asked joining in on the conversation, Skinner looked down on his pad going through the papers

"Eduardo dos Santos – aged 16 he's got a long list of charges...mainly looks like theft, disorderly conduct, petty crimes..." Skinner said briefing through Eduardo's profile

"huh. Wonder why he got selected for C40.." K.O. asked amused

"Robbery you say? Maybe he has real quick fingers.." Cut throat replied

"Well well...we shall soon find out.." Princess replied.

The lights all went out at once, only the light of the monitors in the basement were beaming, and then suddenly the lights in the center of the basement went up, where all the boys were paired up, they stared up at the new light.

Then there was a mechanical type of sound from somewhere in the ground, the dark flooring of the basement opened up in the corner and a small table was rising up. It suddenly came to a stop , with the light illuminating on it, the contents of the table were clearly visible. The table was armed with numerous types of weapons. From knives, to bats, to other more sophisticated looking armour.

"You have 20 seconds to make your way to the table, grab something and come back to your original position...and from there, you must do whatever it takes to disarm your opponent ...you have 40 seconds to do that. If none of you have disarmed the other, you both fail and are automatically disqualified. If one of you has disarmed the other, then the one who was disarmed is automatically disqualified. There are no rules. We don't care how you do it, as long as you do it...Pay attention to the clock on the wall opposite you, it will show you the countdown..." Skinner pointed to a huge clock mounted onto the wall that read 60:00 in big red LED.

"May the best man win..." Cut throat said, while nodding to Skinner.

Suddenly a loud buzz sound shrilled in the basement, and the timer on the clock suddenly started counting down.

The boys stared at each other for a fraction of second, before all of them started running to the table.

Cut throat watched with anticipation, from his experience he knew that this preliminary round wasn't about strength. In fact there was no standard to how a C40 should look, they could come in all shapes and sizes, and they could be pretty young as well.

He watched in curiosity at the Brasilian against the Nigerian....that was the most mismatched pairing of all. The Nigerian boy had gone for a big bat, he was swinging it around at the small Brasilian, but from his view it was difficult to see whether the Brasilian kid had anything in his hands at all, he just kept ducking the swings of the Nigerian.

"What's the kid doing?" K.O. asked staring at the pair "it looks like he didn't take any weapon?"

"hmmm..." cut throat said, trying to verify

He turned to look at the American versus the Russian, they seemed to be the most well matched pair. More or less same age group , same build, it was hard to call this one out...

"What was the American in for?" He asked Skinner, Skinner turned down to look at his notes again "James Smith.....Gang related activities..."

"And the Russian?"