Chapter 31: No good deed goes unpunished..

Leila turned to look at Xavier, at first she thought she was miss reading his impassive face, but today, it was different. It wasn't his usual expressionless face, he truly looked ....... Happy? She couldn't figure it out, he didn't look particularly religious.....Why were they at a Church? She tried to playback and go through the sequence of events in her mind.... Xavier...he didn't just do things randomly ...everything had a purpose. He came to the Royal Ball, as Cut Throat...but when they got off the helicopter...he threw off the mask ...he threw away the gloves......and his ear piece....what did that mean? Was she with Xavier Johnston now?....Meaning what they were about to do now.....wasn't a mission.....?

The walk up to the Church was a long and tedious one. There were so many stairs going up steeply that her head felt queasy, Leila just focused down on her feet, so she wouldn't lose balance in her pin drop heels.

They finally reached the landing, Leila was tired and out of breath. She was acutely aware he hadn't left her hand yet. Leila looked up after catching her breath, and inhaled deeply.

"W-who—whatt is th-is-s?"She asked stammering, her body shaking, looking petrified...

From the landing and as far as her eyes could see there were men, hundreds upon hundreds of men, all dressed in black as though in unison. Her eyes tried looking ahead, but there was no end to them. They in turn were all staring at her and Xavier. She felt like a sheep, who was about to be slaughtered in front of an audience. To her shock, Xavier smiled at them, once again looking strangely elated, before turning to Leila "Come on .......we're still on the outside..." he whispered softly at her.

Leila was terrified, choosing not to look into their faces, she hung her head low.

Passing by the rows and rows of men, lastly they were at the entrance. Leila saw on either side of the Church all seats were occupied with more men. Even the chairs on the top podium were fully occupied. When they saw Xavier and Leila, all of them stood up, and then finally Leila saw the thing that made her the most scared......at the end of the aisle...was a Priest...who was no doubt waiting for them...

Leila slowly turned to Xavier. "What is this...?" she said in a frightened whisper...

Xavier turned to her "Leila............ This is ..................our Wedding...." He said softly.

*******************************

Somewhere on top of a hill, dressed in all black, camouflaging into the night sky was KO, he was adjusting the focus of his favourite long range sniper, while taking a sip of his favourite whiskey in his steel canister. He turned his head to see his team on either side of him all assembling their tripods and snipers; he adjusted his black cap, and bent down to see through the lens.

Looking at the field, he focused into the helicopter which was empty, he started to move forward. There was something dark coming into his view, he readjusted his focus, turning the dial slowly, till the view sharpened. There were men...... hundreds of them, from the landing going up. What are you doing Cut Throat?  Zach thought to himself, as he started to slowly move his sniper through the crowds of the men to look for her.

And finally, he found them. Xavier and Leila were standing at the entrance of the Church looking like they were having some type of argument...He was aiming at Xavier's shoulder, his fingers on the trigger.....Just then he saw a Priest come out....... realization hitting him slowly...Almost as though he could literally feel his mind go clink, clink , clink...the pieces going into place. He released his finger immediately from the trigger, and raised his hands to his team.