chapter thirty-seven

Five Years Later

•••

"There you are," Jennie said, walking out onto the balcony and wrapping her arms around the tall blonde standing out there, "I missed you."

"Mmhh," Chaeyoung replied, leaning into the embrace, "Sorry, love. Leaving you alone in bed after the first time making love wasn't my best decision."

"First time?" Jennie asked in disbelief, "I think you're about six years too late with that sentence."

"I meant the first time since you finally made an honest woman outta me," Chaeyoung chuckled and held out her hand in front of the two of them, watching her newly-put-on wedding ring glint in the moonlight.

"Finally? Most people would think twenty three is still pretty young to get married."

"Most people didn't meet the love of their life when they were seventeen."

"You were sixteen."

"That's very true. Cradle robber."

"Besides," Jennie smirked and put her hands over her wife's five-months-pregnant swollen belly, "I had to marry you. I knocked you up."

Chaeyoung grinned broadly and put her own hands over Jennie's, thinking about how they'd decided to have a baby, wanting to do it young so they could spend the most time with the life they created. Chaeyoung had gotten pregnant their first time trying with the insemination and both had cried as they watched the little blue line appear on the pregnancy test. They had fallen into each others arms and made love for hours, until exhaustion took over and they settled into just lying together, holding each other.

After a few minutes of holding onto the blonde and tracing circles on her stomach, Jennie had reached over to the bedside table on her side of the bed and opened the drawer, pulling out a small box and opening it between them, asking Chaeyoung to marry her. She had, of course, said yes straight away and Jennie had told her how she'd had the ring in her possession for six months but had been completely stumped on how to ask.

The next day, Chaeyoung came home from work with a ring of her own, proposing to the brunette as well, who giddily accepted. They had spent the next five months planning the wedding as Chaeyoung's stomach grew and had finally made it down the aisle earlier that day, surrounded by Jisoo, her boyfriend of two years, Jinyoung, whom everyone loved; Lisa and Seulgi, who were currently off-again in what had been a tumultuous relationship since Seulgi started college and Lisa joined the fashion industry, but were close to another reconciliation; all their families and few friends that had been made through college and work.

"That you did, babe. That you did."

"How's our boy doing?" Jennie asked, kissing her wife on the ear.

Chaeyoung turned in the brunette's arms and walked them over to the sun lounger they had set up on the balcony of the apartment they had been living in for the past two years.

Both girls fell in love with it as soon as they saw it and had moved out of their college dorm room to rent it, Chaeyoung doing some programming for a big company on the side to pay. Both had also received scholarships to Seoul University after high school, and both had knuckled down, with the support of each other. Jennie, who had double-majored in English and Education, and Chaeyoung, who had majored in Computer Science, got their respective degrees in three years.

The programming Chaeyoung had done on the side during college had gotten her a full-time job straight away and Jennie was currently teaching English to students at a middle school. The owner of their apartment had decided to sell at around the same time they were both starting their jobs, and with a little help from their parents, had managed to make a down payment so they could keep the apartment they loved so much. It was a large place, with three bedrooms, so even when the baby came, which they'd found out only two weeks ago was going to be a boy, they would still had enough room.