chapter fourteen

"Honey, what's wrong?" Jennie asked concerned when she saw the frightened look on her girl.

To her surprise, the smaller girl burst into tears and buried her head in Jennie's neck. The brunette held Chaeyoung to her, turning them so they were both on their sides and whispered in her ear.

"Shhh. It's okay baby, I got you..."

Chaeyoung's tears stopped a minute later, and Jennie just continued holding her and giving words of comfort, until she felt the blonde relax slightly in the embrace.

"Open those beautiful eyes for me, Rosie."

Chaeyoung just sniffled and kept her head in Jennie's neck.

"Please, love," Jennie said, getting worried.

Chaeyoung heard the worried tone and brought her head up, letting their lips meet first. After a second, she opened her eyes and wasn't surprised to see Jennie's eyes open as well as they continued to kiss. They stayed staring at each other, communicating through their mouths and eyes until Chaeyoung pulled back after a couple of minutes.

"Are you okay?" Jennie asked, stroking her cheek.

"Yea," Chaeyoung said, then cleared her throat to stop her voice from breaking, "I, um, it's stupid."

"You never have to tell me something you don't want to...but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried."

Chaeyoung looked into the deep brown eyes and when she saw nothing but love and concern reflected back, she knew she could tell Jennie anything.

"There was a frog. I'm afraid of frogs," she said, clearing her throat clearly having no effect as her voice began to break again, "I know, huge baby."

"I'm afraid of trucks," Jennie whispered quietly.

"What?"

"Trucks. Whenever our car passes one on the freeway I freak out and think it's gonna crash down on top of us."

"So...you're telling me...that you're a lesbian afraid of U-Hauls?"

Jennie giggled and pulled Chaeyoung in for a chaste kiss.

"I guess I am. Are you okay now?"

"Yea. I just saw the green and the croaking and my fight or flight response kicked it. Which around frogs is definitely flight. I'm sorry for jumping on you."

"Would you think it was super cheesy if I said I'll always catch you when you fall?"

"Yep. But I'd love you even more for it."

"Chaeyoung... Jennie! Why are you on the ground?

The girls scrambled to get up as they heard Mr. Lee's voice and saw him walking towards them. He stopped in front of them, giving them a curious look.

"Getting a closer look at the plants down here," Jennie said, saying the first thing that sprang into her mind.

"That's grass, ladies."

"Which is what we discovered," Chaeyoung piped up, brushing some errant stands of said grass off her shirt.

"Very well," Mr. Lee said, knowing he wasn't getting the whole truth, but decided to let it go. Chaeyoung and Jennie were his two best students, and had gotten even better since they became lab partners, so he trusted them to get the work done, "How're you getting on?"

"Uh...twenty-seven identifications," Chaeyoung replied, scanning the list in her hand.

"Good. You two should get the extra credit with no problems. Can I help with anything?"