chapter thirty-four

Jennie smoothed the material of her light yellow dress as she checked herself in the bathroom mirror one last time. Her hair was pulled back in a pony tail, with wisps of hair framing her face and the light blue eye shadow she had applied made her eyes pop.

Her and Chaeyoung had agreed they'd get changed for Prom at her house, and had come straight home from their final day of their junior year, ready to check their SAT scores and start to get ready. After their impromptu, yet thoroughly enjoyed lovemaking session, and the twenty minutes of afterglow snuggles that were also thoroughly enjoyed, they had disentangled themselves and Chaeyoung had gone for her shower, coming back in a towel and making Jennie leave with all her clothes and make-up for the night, wanting to keep at least one thing traditional; not seeing each other until they were both in full attire.

She left the bathroom and walked into the living room, where her mother was sitting, reading the newspaper. She looked up when the brunette walked in the room and got a tear in her eye.

"You look beautiful, sugar," she said standing up and walking over to give her daughter a hug.

"Thanks, Mom," Jennie said, hugging back.

"Where's Chaeng?" Ms. Kim asked, going back to sit on the sofa.

"Oh in my room, getting changed."

"You're not with her?"

"Mom!" Jennie replied, sitting on the armchair across from her and giving her a playful glare.

"I didn't mean any... you know, I think you take a lot of things that I say with a much more suggestive meaning that I ever intend. I don't know how I feel about that," Ms. Kim responded jokingly.

"To answer your question, she didn't want us to see each other until we were all ready. Did you get those roses I asked you to pick up?"

"Indeed I did," Ms. Kim replied, reaching onto the small coffee table beside the sofa and grabbing a small bouquet of red roses.

She handed the flowers over the small space where her daughter was sitting.

"Thanks so much, Mom. I wanted them to be fresh but a surprise, ya know? She woulda seen if I stopped on the way home from school."

"Well I'm happy to help."

"You're the best, Mo-" Jennie was cut off by her own gasp as Chaeyoung shyly entered the room.

She was dressed in a simple knee-length, strapless black dress, her hair put up in a tight bun with, like Jennie, a few tendrils framing her face. She had also applied some light eye shadow, a subtle red that made her eyes shine vibrantly. Her outfit was finished by the necklace Jennie had bought her for her birthday, the two hearts shining brightly.

"Holy shit!" Jennie continued, "I mean– no, holy shit just about covers it."

"And she got a 790 on her writing SAT," Ms. Kim chuckled, having been delighted when Jennie informed her of her scores when she had come home from work; Chaeyoung had been in the shower and Jennie had come in with a beaming smile, telling her the news.

"SATs didn't make me stand in front of the most beautiful girl on the planet," Jennie replied absently, standing and going over to Chaeyoung, awestruck.

"Not possible," Chaeyoung said, taking in the brunette's look as well, "I'm the one standing in front of the most beautiful girl on the planet."

"You look incredible," Jennie whispered, running her hands up and down her girlfriend's arms, then handed her the roses, "These are for you."

They stayed staring, lost in each other until Ms. Kim cleared her throat, feeling like she was intruding on the moment and wanting to ease the tension.