chapter twenty-seven

"Do you wanna slap Lisa first or should I?" Seulgi asked Jisoo, both of them staring at her in horror.

"I don't know why you would ever think that, Lisa Harris, but there is no chance in hell that either of those two are cheating on each other. I can't believe you told Chaeyoung that!" Jisoo said, having to make a pointed effort to keep her voice down.

"But I have proof!" Lisa tried to reason, surprised by her girlfriend and best friend's such strong reaction. She'd been upset too when she realized, but this was a whole other ball game.

The girls stared at Lisa in disbelief.

"Fine. Prove it," Seulgi challenged.

Seulgi normally thought anyone was capable of causing a loved one pain, she had seen her own parents marriage break up right in front of her, had seen them argue day after day and night after night until eventually they had both stopped caring and had deigned to live separate lives while still living under the same roof, both having affairs that the other didn't acknowledge. Seulgi wished they would just split up already and stop the faking, but figured that would just bring about a whole lot of lawyers, going back and forth between two homes and the possibility of actually having to move away. So she kept up the pretence her parents did, that they were all happy in their home life.

All other aspects were good for her, she figured: a girlfriend she really did love, a group of friends who she actually felt liked her, regular orgasms and plenty of guilt money from her parents, so she could forget about other things. But the thought that Jennie, easily her closest friend of the group, could be doing anything to hurt Chaeyoung was utterly ridiculous in her mind, they meant the world to each other, an idiot with a bag over their head could see that.

"I saw something. In her bag," Lisa said, as if that explained everything.

"Well, what was it? If it was a photograph of her and some girl, it could've just been a friend from New Zealand," Jisoo tried to reason.

"No, not a photograph..." Lisa trailed off and sighed, "She had a box of pills. You know, The Pill. I recognized it 'cause my brother's girlfriend takes the same one. I know this is shocking, that Jennie would-"

She was cut off by Jisoo and Seulgi hitting her simultaneously, on either arm.

"Ow!" Lisa said, trying to hold onto both of her arms, basically giving himself a hug in the process.

The girls looked at each other and rolled their eyes.

"Lisa, The Pill is not just used for contraception," Jisoo explained, "She could have a condition that she doesn't want us knowing about 'cause its private ... or acne or something. Jeez Lis, you can't just go around accusing..."

"Well how was I supposed to know that?" Lisa spluttered.

"You could've, I dunno, discussed it with us first," Seulgi said with a 'duh' expression, "Or even went to Jennie. I'm sure if you asked what the deal was 'cause you were concerned, she would've told you."

"Oh god," Lisa said, hanging her head in her hands, "I just thought... I just didn't want Chaeyoung getting hurt."

Seulgi softened as she saw her girlfriend's turmoil. She looked at Jisoo, who sighed.

"We know, Lis. And I'm sure Jennie will calm Chaeyoung down enough to know that too," Jisoo said and gave her a sympathetic pat on the shoulder, "But be prepared to apologize. To both of them. Jennie's not gonna like being accused anymore than Chaeyoung liked hearing it."

Lisa nodded her head. She knew she messed up. She just hoped she hadn't lost her oldest friend in the process.

•••