Introduction - A Day at Work

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

- Stephen King.

_________________________________

A/N: Hello to all who've chosen to read this novel! Thank you to you! I'm honoured that you've chosen to read this and I hope I won't disappoint you. This novel is inspired by Netflix's Wolf series.

Happy reading to all! Love you.

_________________________________

It was a sweltering afternoon, and we were seated in an armored tactical vehicle driving across a sloped terrain encompassing between two hills. It was a route that we usually take, a hidden area not known by many. The area had received a light rain in the earlier morning, and so the vehicle had to plough through wet soil. I could hear the squelch and strain in the wheels as it grinds its way across.

It was the usual sounds that I hear.

For this mission, we were part of a large convoy of armed soldiers – separated into three armoured vehicles called the Terrex 3 APC. I was seated with my own unit – Wolf. Further ahead was Falcon who held the captured MIS leader and the unit leading the way was Leopard.

Officially, we were part of the Police Armed Forces. We are a specialist unit that deals with terrorism and we were the only few that are trained to deal with war. We are always given dangerous missions – sent to war-torn areas to deal with enemies that threatens the peace of our country. Sometimes, we enter war-torn areas to capture suspected terrorist leaders like this one.

The men in my unit were decorated soldiers but they were highly unstable as individuals. Despite their skills in warfare, they sucked being normal human beings and I certainly did not have the right to squander them like that because I was as unstable as them. I had been working with them for years and I considered them a part of my family.

Sometimes, I'd like to hit them in their faces.

I tried my hardest not to roll my eyes at Lucas' remark about them being alpha males, knowing that he was the craziest amongst the bunch. His lucrative mind was the reason he was deemed as one of the finest soldiers, but it was thanks to that brain of his that caused the rupture in his marriage. Despite that, there was one person who holds his entire world and it was in the form of an eight-year-old girl.

Before anyone could intercede his statement, we were interrupted and jarred awake by the sudden explosion that rocked the earth beneath us. The alarms were triggered, and orange lights flashed in the compartment. It was a signal for us to strap up and arm ourselves as we are about to enter war.

The rookies exchanged alarmed glances and nodded grimly as they got to work.

"BT-37, this is BT-34, give us a sitrep!" I yelled an order as we readied to scramble out of the vehicle.

"This is BT-37, Lt. Amelia," an answer came forth. The reception was crackling up. "We are hit, the armour is pierced by the front left corner and one of our own is injured. The vehicle is unable to move."

"Frank, the assailants are firing over the left side of the hills," reported the Captain of the Falcon Unit. He sounded very tired. "They have a few missile launchers on their arsenals."

Captain Frank let out a curse from where he sat. Missile launchers are not compatible with the Terrex armoured vehicle. The artillery is too destructive for the armour to withhold and we knew what the job entails. "Marcus, release the doors!" ordered the Captain as we vacated the vehicle. "Release the smoke grenades!"

Casting a thick smoke screen between the front and back part of the armoured vehicle, we ran out from the back exit and took cover behind it as bullets rained down upon us. The team began to move; some started firing from the front and the back, taking out the masked terrorists who wanted their fearsome leader back.