Chapter 10 - Operation Welcome Home Party ( 1 Year Later)

We've touched down the tarmac at 3am, and we were all a little blurry-eyed and bushy-tailed after a gruelling 16-hour stand-off with the enemy at the border. We managed to get our flight back right after we've secured the mission and slept the entire flight back home.

After we've cleared immigration, we filed in our four-wheelers and drove back to HQ where we dropped off our armours and weapons. We got a sleepy debrief and we were finally let out into civilisation when the sun was rising from its slumber.

I glanced at the clock – yawning heavily and trudged to the women's bathroom to get a quick shower as well as a change of clothes before I head home.

It was cold season again so I pulled on the warm clothes that I had left behind a year ago – knowing that my future self would want to change into civilian clothing before I head home.

Shaking my head at my past self, I folded the uniform into my bag and stuffed the remaining items that needed to be washed urgently. I was the last person to leave HQ and by that time, it was already 7.30am.

Seeing the sun again after months of night missions made me squint and cower, the brightness of the sun surprised me.

"Oi Amelia!"

I turned around curiously to see the familiar man standing next to the black Aston Martin and I stopped walking as my jaw hit the floor in shock. I was not expecting him there. How did he know that I was arriving here today? Just how good this stalker of mine is?

Wait, is that my heart fluttering?

Panicking, I climbed down the stairs quickly and rushed to him as I looked around rather wearily. "What are you doing here?" I asked in a whisper as I grabbed him by the arm to usher him back in the car. "You know you're under scrutiny."

"I'm picking you up," he said as he tried to shake his arm off so he could bring me to an embrace. "Welcome home. It's been a long year."

"Yes yes let's get out of here," I said hurriedly as I opened the driver's door and shoved him in before I ran to the passenger side. "Come on. Come on."

Kirishima had a little smile hanging on his lips as we left the HQ and I tried to sink myself into the seat – as the guards at security peeked in the windows as they allowed us to leave. Soon, the scenery changed from mediocre office buildings to tall coniferous trees as we entered the highway.

"I can't believe you got in," I muttered.

He laughed. "Don't worry about it," he replied.

"What if I get benched again?" I muttered flatly and let out a groan as I sank down on the seat, throwing my hands up in defeat. "I have to go through many rounds of interrogations."

"Oh, what type of interrogations?" he asked. "Does it hurt?"

"What?" I asked and shook my head in disbelief. "Not that type, you sick masochist."

He laughed again. "I was thinking they'd electrocute you or something."

"Don't be daft," I said. "We only do that to criminals."

Hearing that statement, he perked up a little and wanted to know more about it. He was interested in our interrogation ways and I didn't want to talk about work anymore so I changed the subject effectively.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see."

"Is it a restaurant?"