Chapter 6 - Operation Lazarus

"From today onwards, Captain Frank Davis, Lieutenant Amelia Irfan and Sergeant Tom Fischer are to remain in the Headquarters for a period of two weeks –"

Lucas slammed his hand onto the table - interrupting the officer from his monologuing. "Are you out of your goddamn mind?" he yelled. "We can't go on a mission without Frank, Tom and Amelia! You know it's suicide!"

The rest of the team members were equally as agitated as Lucas and with a glare from Frank, Lucas backed down despite his immediate desire to slap the living shit out of the officer who simply wore a flat look as he stared down at us.

"They're orders given by the higher management," the officer said flatly. "Even if you voiced your concern about this, all three are to be grounded. Do what you're supposed to do, soldier."

He got up before Lucas or the rest of the men could say more and we were stunned by how things were going. I let out a sigh and ran a hand through my hair - cracking my neck as I tried to release the tension in my shoulders.

I knew what would happen and being grounded in HQ was nothing short of what I would expect as punishment.

Grumbling at the decision made, the team left the room as they knew they had little choice and Frank asked for the both of us to stay behind so he could speak with us about something. Knowing what it was, I remained in my seat and waited.

I wanted to know what the higher ups told him.

"The shit that went down is being handled by the worst possible way," Frank said. "They're trying to understand how Kirishima managed to hack his way into the database without leaving a trace and how he got crucial information even without getting any clues."

"They've watched the footage of your interactions with Kirishima in the restaurant that night," he continued on. "They've checked and smoothen out everything with a fine tooth comb. They are aware that the both of you have not stated anything that jeopardised the mission."

"But why ground us?" Tom asked.

His statement made me retaliate.

"Because they think you need to lighten the fuck up," I growled in anger. "It's because of your incessant blow out that caused all these shit."

Tom looked at me with a surprised expression and he wasn't able to answer my retort. I stormed out of the room and headed to the pantry where I could make a cup of coffee.

I sighed as I drank the concoction.

Well, I can take it as a holiday.
.

"Contact front!"

Hearing that yell, they threw themselves into the first sign of cover they could see and rolled around to engage the enemy.

It was a brutal fight, they were stuck in a tight corner of a street with no way out.

Lucas let out an angry breath as he looked his six and caught Marcus' side-eye look. They both knew what it meant for the team today. They were on a mission without Tom, Frank and Amelia.

Without their capable sniper, they had no eyes on the enemy.

The question of their top management's rash decision did come across their minds. However, they both knew that their direct boss had no say to the decision made and being soldiers, they had to abide with the rules of the superior officer.

Wolf was entirely different without the trio, and Keith, Lucas and Marcus knew it in their hearts when they stepped off the armoured vehicle and on to heavy fire. Marcus was the senior amongst the other two, but the trio knew Lucas was the current alpha.