Chapter 3 - Operation Cronos

A surprise came for me today. Work was boring as we resumed our previous work exigencies. I had many paperwork and reports to complete while Captain was involved in a few board meetings. Marcus was back to his tinkering in the armour - upgrading our weaponry and the rookies were back to their usual training session headed by Lucas and Tom.

We were back in HQ, in the city and it was a few days since I returned to my comfy bed.

It was getting too soft and uncomfortable for me.

Typing away on the keyboard and frowning as I stared at the monitor screen, I was giving my full attention to the report as I referred to a tattered piece of draft paper I had managed to scribble onto during the many missions I had been involved in. The paper had gone through hell, soaked and dirtied with mud. There was blood on it too.

I wasn't sure if it was mine.

Suddenly, the office telephone rang and I reached out to pick it up. It was the front desk soldiers and they had to repeat twice for me to understand what they were talking about. I had to do a double take when I finally realised the enormity of it.

"I'm on my way!" I urged. "Do not let him wander off!"

Slamming the phone down, I realised that I was breathing hard. My heart was pumping double rate and pulled out my mobile phone and wanted to contact Captain Frank immediately but knowing that he was busy in an important meeting, I called Lucas instead.

Telling me to bring at least a handgun with me, and that they'll be there for back up, he ended the call swiftly. I let out a deep sigh and grabbed my gun where I had left it on the desk, shoving it in its holster before I left my office.

This is not good!

This is not good at all!

Making my way down to the front counter, a billion and one thoughts spun inside my head as I tried to grasp the severity of the situation I was heading into. It was hard to admit that the fact that the one person I least suspected to has found my true identity and he is here now in my fucking office.

It was detrimental to the mission that our identities were not to be found out.

What would happen to the mission now?

Turning the corner where the front counter was situated on the right, I saw him first. He was dressed in a dark suit and wearing a pair of sunglasses as he stared off into the distance. His pale face held no expression whatsoever and I was unsure if meeting him here was the right decision.

Hang on, wasn't this a breach of security? How did he find out about me? My profile and information was stored in the military database. To be able to pull out such info and to know where I was based, was a problem I realised too late.

By the corner of my eye through the window pane, I saw the boys coming up from the other side, crouching low and in full gear as they spread out to cover me at all sides. Knowing that I was not alone, I planted myself in front of Kirishima - blocking his direct line of sight.

"How did you find out where I worked?" I asked flatly.

He pulled down the sunglasses, revealing his emotionless eyes as he assessed me. "Oh hello. It's good to see you," he said and shrugged as if it was nothing that he could do. "I was unsure if I got the correct information."

"Who are you?" I asked. "You do know that what you did is illegal, right?"

He grins. "My name is Ishikawa Kirishima," he introduced and spoke, "It's only illegal if you can get evidence against me and I'm sure that you cannot."

He's brazen to even say it aloud. He's out of his mind.

Kirishima took a step closer, and my gun was already in my hand. I was being very cautious, putting up an act in my HQ. Knowing that there were people watching, and I need to react accordingly. It was a great move from me, because an evil smile lifted at the ends of his lips as he raised his hands up.

"Speak. You have five seconds."

"I want your mobile number."

"Rejected. Get out. Now."

"You know I can find out without asking you. I didn't want to do that, which is why I am here to ask you personally."

I didn't want to listen to him talk any longer, so I ordered to the two soldiers manning the front desk. "Get him out of here."

"Yes Ma'am!"

Despite being manhandled by two soldiers, Kirishima looked at ease as if this was a joke he would tell his friends and he gave a cheery wave as he was escorted out of the premises. I let out a sigh and kept my handgun into the holster once he was finally gone and I was met with the rest of the team as they approached from all corners of the area.

"He's out of his damn mind," commented Lucas.

"How did he know where you worked?" Marcus asked worriedly. "We need to report this to Frank."

"He even know your name now," added the rookie, Quinn solemnly.

"This is a breach of security," Keith pointed out.

I let out an exasperated sound and whirled around to the boys, glaring at Tom specifically. "This is your fault," I accused angrily and walked away from the group.