Chapter 14 - Euphoria

Deep asleep, I stirred slightly when I hear someone coming into my ward and hushed voices discussing something unintelligible. I continued sleeping as I figured it was just one of the night nurses who had come to check up on me.

My eyes snapped open when I felt pain sparking on my right arm and I looked up to see a masked woman injecting a clear concoction into my bloodstream.

My flight and fight instinct switched on upon seeing that unknown sight.

Cursing, I yanked my arm back from the woman and struggled wildly as an extra pair of arms went to keep me down. Yelling in frustration, I kicked both of the intruders hard in their abdomen – disabling them immediately.

Shit, I kicked with my right leg without thinking.

Panting with exertion and burning with pain, I forced myself up from the bed and tried to pull the syringe from my arm before the concoction worked its magic in my bloodstream.

Knowing that my motor functions will be hindered soon, I flailed around the room trying to locate my handphone in the darkness before I limped my way out of the ward.

I dialled a number as I headed to the fire exit staircase – knowing that backup will arrive any minute from now, when they realise that the front guard was down.

And I can't fight against them all.

My vision started to get blurry, my body felt a ton heavier than normal and I could barely move my left leg as I desperately willed for the caller to pick up the call.

He picked up on the third dial.

"Amelia?"

"There's danger ... in the h-hospital," I spoke, even my mouth was getting numb. "Th-they injected me ... I can't – I can't stay awake for long. Please send... h-help."

"We'd be right there! Give me a minute!"

I dropped my phone in the process of propping myself against the hospital wall and I couldn't bring myself to pick it up. Sighing, I continued my walk to the exit staircase, muttering curses under my breath as I fought to stay awake but it was threatening to take me down.

My arm hurt and trembled with fatigue as I pushed open the door, I went to the nearest wall so I could keep standing up but my legs couldn't hold my weight up anymore.

Is this where I'm going to die?

Alone and scared?

In some goddamn stairwell?

I squeezed my eyes shut – breathing hard as I fought to stay awake but within seconds, the magical abilities of the mystery concoction overtook my senses and I finally succumbed to the darkness.

.

I woke up with the worst pain that I could ever describe. It was a damn rude awakening. My eyes shot open as the unbearable pain enveloped my entire body – attacking all at once.

"Oh fuck!"

Screaming in pain, I cannot stop the fear as I realised that my body couldn't move as I wanted to because my muscles has locked up. The nurses who were nearby leaped to action. Soon enough, the pain disappeared and I sighed in relief, sinking down on the bed with a tired groan.

The nurses began to wipe down my body with a cloth, leaving my skin feeling refreshed and lightly massaged my aching joints and muscles.

"Amelia, how do you feel?"

It was Kirishima. His face was right next to me and his brows were creased with worry as he looked at me.

"Fantastic." I was not. In fact, I felt like my body had been slammed repeatedly by a lorry and crushed over by a compactor. My legs taken out and shoved back. My arms cut off and reattached.