Chapter 25: War Hunting Season Part 1

A/N: 

Hello all! How are you? I hope you're doing well.

Sorry it took me so long to get this chapter out. I had a lot of things going on for the last few weeks. I hope you enjoy this!

Extra: Captain Frank Davis is inspired by a character called Lieutenant Frank Castle or the Punisher. If you don't know, there's a Netflix series on the Punisher which is starred by Jon Bernthal. I don't really talk much about Captain Frank but he does not have the same tragic story as Frank Castle did.

Cheers!

.

The mission: To rescue a war prisoner from an armoured prison transport via helicopter. Wolf will travel through the Point and separate into two teams. Team One will be picked up by helicopter on these coordinates, while Team Two will continue to these coordinates and wait for orders.

Crammed inside a ten-ton truck with a four-hour ride to the destination was the most hated part of any mission. There was no air-conditioning at the back, only the breeze from the wind and it is open to the weather. Currently its night, so we got the cool wind.

The temperature was estimated to drop to single digits soon.

Each readying ourselves for the long journey, we got comfortable on the not-so-comfortable seats. Some chose to sleep, while others turned on their music. I sat amongst the rookies with Quinn on my right as I opened a book I had brought along and got myself comfortable – resting on the seat with my head on my pack.

I could feel Gunner's eyes on me. It felt inquisitive. "Quit staring or I'm going to shoot you in the eye," I warned without looking up.

"She doesn't miss," added Quinn.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Lucas demanded next. "Have you never seen a girl before in your life?"

"I'm just curious how she got into Wolf."

"I'm not going to satisfy your curiosity, shit goblin."

We stared at the other unflinchingly, and I slowly brought up a middle finger to his face before I resumed my reading. The other boys snickered at the display and we went about our business. Two hours in, I laid down on the bench while I read and dozed off with the book covering my face.

By the third hour, the scenery changed from flat muddy lands to heavily forested area, which brought down the temperature even further.

The fourth hour rolled by, and Frank woke us up by hollering from the window. We would reach the destination within half hour and we needed to get ready before the drop off. Yawning and stretching, I sat up from the bench and kept the book, muttering under my breath at how much my back hurt, that I was getting older.

Quinn quickly reminded me that I was not old, in fact I just needed to do more back exercises and I told him to shut up as I suited up, wearing the two layers of clothes, my bulletproof vest before sipping up the outer coat. I clipped on the chin strap, hitting the helmet so it sits on my head and brought down the goggles. I brought up the jacket collars, so I zipped it up to my mouth. Lastly, I wore the special winter gloves.

The truck spluttered to a stop.

"Move! Move!"

We left the transport in two rows, landing on muddy soil, splashing it everywhere and headed down the beaten path towards the looming mountain ahead. Frank joined us in the back, each soldier was on high alert. From here on out, we were on enemy lands.

"Keep your head up!" Frank ordered. "Eyes peeled!"

"Yes, sir!"

Bitterly cold and humid – such a brutal combination. The weather had turned harsh and every breath was painful. The cold moves in almost immediately, I could feel it wash over my skin and I shuddered against the freezing wind.