Chapter 21 - Anpanman

A/N: This chapter will be a short one. Enjoy!

.

Four months of rehabilitation, was nerve wrecking and extremely challenging even for a combat soldier. The pain of discomfort and the fact that my muscles could tear anytime worried me more as I did the exercises the physiotherapist wanted me to do in the hospital and at home.

I forced myself to slow down whenever I worked out and to pay attention more on the parts that hurt while I did. It was a tough journey – both mentally and psychically, as I was exhausted more often than not.

After the whole ordeal was over, I had an appointment to check on my physical health and to see whether I could return to work as I had taken an extra month to recuperate as compared to the doctor's recommendation three months of rest.

Awaiting for the result made me nervous and I could feel my heart hammering away in my chest – turning my palms sweaty. Minutes later felt like hours, the doctor returned with a blank expression on his face as he told me that I could return to work next week but I would have to keep the brace on until further notice.

I was barred from missions until my brace is off.

Honestly, that was better than my initial expectation.

.

"I'm returning to my apartment within this week," I mentioned during dinner later. "The doctor gave me the green light to return to work next week."

Kirishima's cutlery stopped moving as soon as I mentioned that bit and he looked up immediately, his dangling earrings swishing due to the sharp movement. There was a splash of emotion on his face but that was gone very quickly. Was I expecting a reaction from him? Was I expecting him to say no?

Who knows, maybe I was.

"Do you have to go back to your apartment?" he asked. "You can stay here with me. You know just ... remain here."

I could not stop the smile from appearing. It was what I wanted to hear but I knew it was not what I actually wanted. "That's sweet of you," I said. "But I'd rather return to my own apartment. I miss my bed."

"So, you won't stop me from visiting you?"

"I got no reason to."

"Good."

.

Knowing that I could finally walk outside without fearing for my life was beyond what I could explain but it certainly felt that the restraints on my shoulders are gone and I felt a hundred times lighter. Leaving the house without any escort was a big improvement and I could finally enjoy going places by myself.

Celebrating our freedoms, Amalina and I planned to go to our favourite café for lunch after she was done with her school. This late in the year, she was preparing for her final projects and final examinations so she went to school for a class revision.

I took the public transport to the café – switching from bus to train to head to the city centre. Wearing the brace for four months had forced me to get used to the bulky contraption and I wanted to be able to walk with it without a problem but since my leg muscle has yet to heal properly, I could feel the ache if I walk or stand too long.

Seating inside the café, I had ordered my usual drink and dessert combo. My thoughts were interrupted by a pair of arms appearing around me and a jovial voice greeting me happily.

"Hey Amalina, how's class?" I asked.

Amalina was all smiles because she was happy that the whole incident is over and our normal lives can finally return. She can finally go back to school without a worry.

"It's better now that you're here," she replied with a smirk but sobered when I gave her a glare. "Second year is coming to an end soon so we're preparing for our final examinations. Prof just told us of the revision schedule."

"Exams huh."

"So how was the doctor's appointment?" Amalina asked. "Did he say anything?"

"I'm back to work next week but I'm still on the brace till further notice," I explained. "So I can't return to missions just yet."

"Does it mean that you're able to return to your apartment?" she asked. "Or are you going to stay with Kirishima?"

"I'm returning to my apartment within the week."

"How did he take it?" she asked.

"Surprisingly well, he did ask me to stay with him but I didn't want to," I explained as I sipped my coffee. "I missed the house and my bed."

"You could've stayed there rent free," she pointed out.

"No that will be stupid and wholly reliant on a man," I stated flatly. "What if you needed a place to stay? And what if we fought and I needed a place to crash? It's always imperative to think about your needs first."

"That's ... smart thinking."

I gave her a look.

.