Chapter 11 - Operation Lilith

I shut the locker after I checked my reflection in the mirror – folding the collars down and ran a hand through my hair before tying them up in a loose bun. I had been contemplating to cut it to a short concave style but I was procrastinating because I knew it'd be troublesome keeping them out of my face while I worked.

Ensuring that my fringe was neat and muttering that I needed to cut them soon, I left the bathroom and headed to my office.

Since we were all back at the headquarters, we resumed our normal office routines which was attending all field trainings, continue to forge team bonding, improving our team formations since we have a new recruit with us and lastly, completing the impossible task of writing mission reports.

I despised them the most.

They had been piling up ever since I returned from the war season as I didn't want to deal with them yet but I had little choice now since I've been withholding them for too long. Eyeing the stack on my table, I hunkered down after making myself a cup of coffee and began the torture.

Sighing in annoyance even though it was the first report on my desk, I stared down in exasperation at the report written by the rookie, Blake Lin. Calling the rookie over to my desk, I showed him the report that he has written and pointed out the garbage that he had scribbled in bright red ink.

"What went on in your mind to use red ink on a mission report?" I pointed out flatly. "Did you not learn in school not to write your work in red ink? Aren't you the top student there?"

Blake just gave me a dumbfounded look – his eyes were staring numbly at the report on the table. "I'll rewrite it and resubmit it," he said as he got up and wandered off.

I watched him retreat in confusion and I wondered what had happened to the kid. Shrugging as I didn't want to know, I continued with my work. The reports the boys had submitted made me groan aloud and I wanted to slap them all. However, I couldn't blame them for not being able to report properly due to danger of the job but to make amends on the physical copies before I submitted them online.

Ten minutes of mindless reading and muttering curses under my breath while trying my hardest not to pull my hair out, the office door opened up and Frank entered the room looking all business-like.

"Another mission, boss?" Lucas was quick to jump and ask, as he was bored lounging on his chair doing desk work.

Captain Frank nodded firmly. "Get your gear, we're heading out in ten."

Hearing the order, we rose from our chairs and raced to the armour to get geared up. The boys were in an excited chatter as they were about to see action (finally) and they were about to keel over from boredom.

Rolling my eyes at their enthusiasm, I strapped on my bulletproof vest and gloves before clipping on the helmet. I strode towards Marcus who was busy by the work table - fiddling with my rifle yet again.

"I retrofitted it," he said with a proud wink as he handed my baby over. "I'm sure you'd like it."

I checked the powerful weapon in my hands, feeling the familiar weight was assuring to me – turning it around to check its body and checked the scope, magazine and the reload function.

"What did you do to it?" I grumbled as I slung it over my shoulder. "Stop messing with it."

Marcus laughed at my grumbling and he left to gear up as well.

I left the armoury and headed to the basement carpark where our armoured vehicle was parked waiting. Captain Frank was seen discussing with another police officer who was part of the Crimes Unit. I'm guessing the mission today had something to do with aiding them.