Chapter 2 - Operation Belarus

The night was cold as we laid down on the ground circling a small fire Lucas had made with nothing but scraps he had found on the barren land. We were on a mission, this time over at the border and we were bunking down for the night at the crook of a hilly mountain top, facing an embankment not too far out.

We had received intel that a convoy would pass through the mountain at dusk, and the convoy was transporting a priced item. We didn't know what item it was, but we have orders to retrieve it. All we know was that it was vital to the safety of the country and it was a highly dangerous mission.

And that was why Wolf was here.

Surrounded by the boys who were busy discussing about something I was not paying attention to, I laid down on the ground with my legs up and crossed over the other as I stared up at the starry sky. It was a beautiful night, and I could see plenty at this vantage point.

It was a good spot.

"Big Sister, can you please play a song for us?" one of the rookies asked, as he pulled out an acoustic guitar from his side. He gave a hopeful smile. "Please?"

The rest of the rookies echoed their pleading, and I let out a sigh as I indulged them. Sitting up, I took the guitar and set it on my lap. The boys began to huddle around me almost excitedly, even the older ones seemed to stop their chat as they waited for me to start singing. Testing the pitch, I stared down at my fingers as they moved on their own accord and knew what I wanted to sing.

Taking a deep breath, I strummed the first chord and began to sing.

I look up from the ground

To see your sad and teary eyes

You look away from me

And I see there's something you're trying to hide

And I reach for your hand but it's cold

You pull away again

And I wonder what's on your mind

And then you say to me you made a dumb mistake

You start to tremble, and your voice begins to break

You say the cigarettes on the counter weren't your friend's

They were my mate's

And I feel the color draining from my face

I paused for effect, my eyes locked with Tom's and I continued with the chorus.

And my friend said

"I know you love her, but it's over, mate

It doesn't matter, put the phone away

It's never easy to walk away, let her go

It'll be alright"

I sang those verses, the words seemed to flow within me smoothly as if the song was made for me. It was the moment about finding out about something you'd think it'd never happen to you. A moment that I had to find out. It was a horrible feeling. A horrible and devastating feeling. It lingers like a poison that never seems to go away.

The devastating moment that I found out Tom was seeing someone else behind my back, that the one thing that I had feared happening right in front of me, this song describes it in such brutal detail that when I first heard it, I burst out crying and lay in a pool of my own tears for hours.

Because when I was in that moment of pain, it was everything.

But nothing heals the past like time