Chapter 8 - Operation Adam

A few days later, both Amalina and Markus invited me for dinner over at his place. She had mentioned in the group chat that she had created with that she felt bad for insisting that I went out for the date with Kirishima and so this was her way in seeking forgiveness.

I accepted it because she didn't deserve to wallow in her self-guilt and it's been days since I last saw her. My two-week hiatus is going to be over soon, and I would want to spend another dinner with her before I go for a long overseas mission.

I went home directly after work since Markus' apartment was five minutes away from my place. I had plenty of time to rest and have a change of clothes and I didn't want to bring along my backpack to a dinner.

Wanting to refresh myself, I took a quick hot shower washing away the day's grime. I pulled on a teal turtle neck sweater over a thick black hoodie and a pale blue fleece coat over everything else. On my legs was a pair of black jeans and my usual boots. Grabbing my phone, I left the apartment and made my way down to Markus' apartment.

It was a thirteen floor building situated on 13th Street, nestled between a grocery mart and a private tuition centre. I crossed the street and went to find the lift lobby, tucked away at the corner.

Buzzing for the apartment, the front gate was buzzed open from the inside and I was able to enter the private lobby to take the elevator up to the ninth floor.

I was impressed by the security. I wonder if I could afford this type of building.

Arriving at the fifth apartment, I rang the bell and took a step back, admiring the quiet corridor.

The door swung open to reveal a beaming Amalina and she brought me into a hug before the both of us could say anything. I was taken aback by the hug but I returned the embrace, squeezing her tightly to me.

She raised her head to look at me. "Are you okay now?" she asked hopefully, thinking that her hug works wonders on me.

I laughed. "Yes."

"Yay! Let's eat!" she exclaimed as she began pulling me into the apartment. "We've made a large amount today!"

I took off my coat and my boots before entering the apartment.

It was very spacious and I liked how Markus has decorated the place. It screamed of a student nonetheless but it was decent-looking. It was fully furnished and had everything that a student could live with. Amalina could live in here if she wishes so, I mused thoughtfully as I looked around.

"Over here, Amy!" she insisted as she directed me to the dining table, where the food was already spread out and a smiling Markus sat waiting.

"We cooked this all ourselves," Amalina said proudly. "Markus is a very good cook."

I smiled. "Let's dig in."

Amalina and Markus had cooked a scrumptious spread - mostly it was our favourite foods during our childhood. It was a fond memory of mine, our mother used to cook this for us whenever we had extra cash. I couldn't stop the smile from spreading on my face as I began to dig in, knowing that my little sister has gone out of her way to make me happy. 

However, the amicable conversation was cut short abruptly when we heard the unmistakable sound of the fire alarm ringing shrilly in the distance. Both Amalina and Markus paid no heed to the alarm but I shot up from the chair to open the front door to investigate.

It comes with the job.

"Amy!"

Ignoring her plea, I ran barefooted down the corridor and stopped short when the door to my left burst open from the fire explosion. Yelling as I took cover, I watched as the door crumpled like a piece of paper as it slammed against the opposite wall and black smoke billowed out from the apartment - forcing me to make a hasty retreat back to Markus' apartment.