Chapter 1 - Operation Bayan

The mission was simple. Tom and I were to eat dinner in a fancy restaurant – where a critical exchange between the Japanese Yakuza's rival groups will occur at 8.30pm sharp. We were to apprehend anyone who deemed a suspect. However, we were ordered not to do anything stupid or rash, merely to act like a couple out on a dinner date.

The orders will be given once due.

We were to look out for any potential information that will help us in any way.

Tom and I arrived at the restaurant at 8pm, dressed in formal attire and a waitress led us to our reserved seat. We were given menus and were browsing through it when the restaurant went quiet as soon as a group of men in sharp suits entered and acquired a booth by the window. I exchanged quiet glances with Tom, who simply gave a smile as he sipped the red wine he had ordered.

It was simple; pretend to have a simple dinner date celebrating an anniversary and to keep an eye out for the supposed target. Honestly, I was not enjoying the situation at all. It was awkward as hell and I was trying my hardest to enjoy the moment as best I could.

You see, Tom and I used to be in a relationship for eight years, but we broke up not too long ago because he cheated on me.

He was dating another woman behind my back while pretending to love me. The deception happened right under my nose. It took me months to accept the truth, as I couldn't grasp the reality of his betrayal. I figured it wouldn't happen to me. I was in denial. After numerous evidences by eyewitnesses, I made the decision to cut all ties and I had never been the same ever since.

"Hey, just try to enjoy the food," Tom pointed out.

I sighed in annoyance. The restaurant was packed tonight, and we weren't the only couple in sight. The yakuza rival groups were situated not too far away from where we sat, and the situation was still calm and light. They have not come to a disagreement yet as they ate through their fancy meals.

"So, this is...nice," Tom commented awkwardly. He had ordered a ribeye steak with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables. "The food is bearable. I should've ordered a medium rare instead."

I looked down at his plate. He had ordered a medium. "Why did you even choose that dish?" I asked in a monotonous voice. "You hated steak."

A smile curled at the side of his lips at my statement, so I knew there was a reason to it. A reason that I knew I didn't like. I could feel my stomach curling sharply and painfully, because I knew him so well. Struggling to keep myself together, I swallowed hard as I tried to continue with my food, but I knew I had no appetite.

The truffle pasta tasted like cardboard.

"She got me to like steaks again," was his answer. His eyes were shining, the icy-blue eyes that I once vowed never to forget.

I didn't mean to, but a sharp laugh left my lips. Even though it has been months, the pain was still raw, and I just wasn't myself anymore.

"Abort mission!" hissed an order suddenly. "Do not blow your cover!"

I frowned and didn't have time to question the order when the target appeared by the side of our table with an unreadable face. Seeing him there alarmed us both, he came up undetected and for a moment there, I was terrified that our cover has been blown. However, the words that left his mouth confused me even more.

"I don't mean to be rude and interrupt your so-called date," he said as he flashed a charming smile while he eyed me over. "But it seemed to me like the beautiful lady is not enjoying the dinner at all. What have you done to break her heart?"

His question threw me off.

I was dumbfounded and glanced over at Tom, he was too. The microphone in my ear remained silent, so we were on our own. I doubt he was aware of who we were. We won't be talking like this if he knew. Despite that, we were not anticipating this. He was not known to interrupt anyone's dinner without any cause or reason.