Chapter 25: War Hunting Season Part 2

The mission: To rescue a war prisoner from an armored prison transport via helicopter. Wolf will travel through the Point and separate into two teams. Team One will be picked up by helicopter on these coordinates, while Team Two will continue to these coordinates and wait for orders.

As per the coordinates given in the mission report, we've reached the location as per the agreed timing. Marcus radioed in with our coordinates and sure enough, a few minutes later, we heard the familiar sounds of a helicopter approaching. Since there's a capacity limit to the helicopter, only three soldiers plus a pilot can enter.

Team One was Frank, Tom and Lucas. Waving them goodbye as they rode off into the distance, the rest of us continued on foot to the next set of coordinates given in the mission report.

It was ruthless, coupled with the extreme bitter cold and the exhaustion of the battle we've just won, we marched on nonetheless.

The war prisoner's identity was unknown as it should be. Our mission was to spring him out from the armored prison transport, which is usually a high-speed bullet train, before he gets inside the prison and that is where he is lost to us forever.

It is critical for Team Two to reach the second set of coordinates before the armored train arrives. We had less than twenty minutes to cross the Point, and head to the opposite mountain. Since time was of the essence, we had no time to chat. The hike was not pleasant, the elevation was erratic every now and then, and our boots scraped along the smooth granite slopes.

Panting heavily, we've managed to reach the coordinates with time to spare and we broke off into smaller teams, each with their own spot, hidden by the crown of a forest at a nearby cliff. For myself, I was stationed further down near to where I could see the train tracks. I was perched on the edge of the cliff – my handy rifle by my side and I was observing the train tracks with a pair of binoculars.

The rest of the team are on standby, so they drank up, ate their rations and tried to rest up.

Team One had to come up with a plan to take out the soldiers that were following the armed transport, and they decided to set up a simple trap – to fix a strong wire cable between two steel columns. It was a trap the train is unable to avoid.

"Are you sure it'll work?" I asked as I observed them attach the cables via my binoculars.

"Then do you have a better idea, genius?"

"Train's here!"

"Let's get this guy!"

After they set the trap, they went up high, returning to where the train was en-route, and hovered just above the last carriage. The soldiers had heard the sound of the helicopter approaching and like ants, began to appear from the gaps between each carriage to clamor on top of the roof.

"Time to work!"

"Yeah!"

"Woohoo!"

A vicious crossfire ensued for twelve minutes. It was all I could hear through the radio – the rapid sound of bullets ricocheting and piercing the bodies of the enemies, the whump of the helicopter blades, and the grunts of annoyance from the boys.

"Keep it steady!" Lucas yelled through the radio suddenly. "You're going to hit the roof of the carriage!"

"Shut up! I'm concentrating!" the pilot yelled in return.

"Wow," Quinn commented suddenly. "It's like that movie I saw before."

"You're reaching the wire trap," I warned.