F O R T Y O N E ~ "You're a legend."

This chapter is dedicated to @ArtisticBookie1809 for voting and commenting! Thank you :)

••••

"I love you, Skylar." Axel says, his hand reaching to take my hand in his. Rubbing slow circles with his thumb, my hand tingles with his affectionate touch.

My body lights up like it's never experienced happiness in my life. Bursting with love like a sparkler on the fourth of July, it feels as though pure gold is running through me. Elation rushes through my veins as my mind whirls to catch up with his simple yet groundbreaking words.

"What?" I sputter out stupidly.

Smiling in amusement at my lack of words, his actions remain gentle yet apprehensive - the lack of my words seems to be throwing him off.

"I'm in love with you." He says again, his initial shaky voice is gone and is instead replaced with one of utter confidence.

"You're in love with me?" I question, knowing how insecure I sound but panic is suddenly shooting through me and I need to know that he's serious.

"I have been for a while now," He blows out a breath before continuing to talk. "And I mean completely and utterly in love with you. Everything since the day I met you has drawn me in, from your laugh to your obsession with coffee. I love you, Skylar and I'll spend every day proving that to you."

My heart physically combusts.

Unable to help myself any longer, and hoping to express my emotions in a way my words can't, I practically launch myself at Axel. With my legs either side of his hips and my arms twined round his neck, I bring his lips to my own.

Pouring every single emotion that's running though my body into the kiss, the sparks that were running through my body now seems to have transferred into my mind - the happiness totally consuming. Holding him close to me, I let out a groan as he trails his hands down my back.

Breaking apart with my chest heaving out of pure exhilaration, I plan my next words very carefully.

"You are so amazing."

I didn't say it back.

The word coward flashes across my mind but I don't force it away, despite knowing that I am one. I've got the guy of my dreams right in front of me professing his love yet I can't return it.

But I will.

Right now, the thought of saying it feels forced. Axel doesn't deserve for me to say it and then feel guilt after it because I'm unsure about my emotions. The first time I say I love you to Axel, I want it to be effortless and without a shadow of a doubt. Not saying it back is the right thing to do, for both of us.

Maybe it's the break that's put a dent in my trust with him. Or maybe it's my fault for overthinking every single thing. But right now, it's not the time for me to say it back.

Despite my anti-climatic words, Axel doesn't seem to be put off, he kisses me for a brief second before pulling away to grin up at me.

"You have no idea how long I've wanted to say that." He sighs with contentment and then tightens his arms round my waist.

I laugh at his words and rest my head on his shoulder.

The laughs continue for the rest of the evening and even as our bodies melted into one, the atmosphere of high spirits continued well into the night.

I could only hope they continued forever.

••••

"You know, I think this is the most romantic thing I've ever seen you do." Rob nods, clearly impressed by the plan I've created.