E P I L O G U E

This chapter is dedicated to every single reader who has ever given this story a chance! It means more than I can ever describe, thank you so much :)

••••

F O U R   Y E A R S   L A T ER

Their faces were masks of pure determination. The shouts of frustration, anger and success made it blatantly obvious how much they wanted it and how much they needed it. 

My seat was in the front row - right in front of the pitch which allows me to see the full range of emotions from everyone here.

From coaches shouting to children waving flags and teenagers screaming in joy - there was not one person in the whole arena that didn't want to be here. Everyone was tense to see the outcome of this game and the fate of it rested on small ball currently sailing through the air.

Which was just thrown by my husband.

Axel McSmith was signed immediately after leaving UCLA. Deemed as the next Peyton Manning, Axel was in high demand. After having to actually pick over teams, due to so many wanting him, he eventually settled on the Green Bay Packers.

Maxwell was furious, he retaliated quickly and a few teams dropped their offer to Axel. But most remained and that gave more confidence to Axel than I've ever seen. Choosing the Packers, Axel e-mailed Maxwell and broke off whatever you would call their arrangement. He was angry, yes, but there was a rumor of a player just as good as Axel about to enter UCLA so he got over it pretty quickly.

As he announced his choice, I began looking for jobs in the same area - unable to even think about doing long-distance with him. I got a job at Academy of Dance Arts, teaching dance and I still have it today - I love it too much to even fathom looking for a different job.

So, as I watch Axel in his element on the pitch, I know how much work has gone into this game. Once we moved in together, I saw how much he goes through to make his team proud. Diets, practices and workouts I feel tired even thinking about consume his life - but they're also the reason his career has been so successful and what's made him starting quarter-back.

The minutes tick by quickly and before long, it's down to the final seconds. The tension is palpable as people stand on their feet to see if the Packers can truly win this match.

Three seconds.

The realisation that we might win becomes clearer as the players sprint to the touchdown zone.

Two seconds

I scream with the rest of the crowd as the ball lands in the zone with one second to spare.

There's a split second of stunned silence as the crowd realizes that we've won. We've done it, and as soon as that realisation hits - the whole crowd explodes into a cloud of cheers and shouts.

Joining them, the time passes quickly and before I know it I'm getting out to go and find Axel. Walking through the stadium, the pass Axel got for me is suddenly my most useful possession. But, his long hours here also means that many people recognize me, so in my pursuit to find Axel I'm often stopped by some of his fans to ask about him.

Which I still find adorable, so I don't mind taking the time to answer questions or even take a selfie. But when I eventually come to a stop in front of the room that I know he'll be in with the rest of the team and their family members, I can't help but be thankful that I'm finally alone.

Opening the door, I spot the man of the day talking to a teammate. His conversation visibly drifts off when he sees me and he immediately walks over, leaving his teammate looking confused.