"You weren't supposed to see me as Grayson. It was a game I wanted to play to finally be able to be with him in public."

She doesn't say a word. She breathes in and out louder, her chest rising slowly, making me realise how affected she seems.

"Why did he lie?"

"He said you would be angry that he'd fallen back into the same pattern you did. He knows it had been difficult for you and your husband. He wanted to keep it a secret from everyone, not just you."

"Although I do am upset, it's not because of your relationship, it's because he doesn't trust me enough to share one of the most important person in his life..."

"It's no surprise that Marcel doesn't trust a lot of people. I don't think he doesn't trust you. But since your relationship results in only being about work, he thought it best not to share our secret. He feels very threatened at work. Paul is one of many to always be up his ass trying to devalue his work. So many people try to see him fail, it haunts him."

"Paul?"

"Yes, he's been bullying him, even in my presence."

"How can I have been blind to all of that?"

"Marcel has felt alone for so long, Edith. Even if you are always trying to protect him and you have his best interest at heart, he feels like he's never enough. You've denied him success in your business. Same for Paul and same from people I don't know the names but contribute to whisper crazy rumours about him in the office. For once, he had somebody to fight for him. That was me!" I exclaim passionately and calm myself, remembering we're in a public place. "Are you mad? Or... disappointed?"

"Honestly, yes, but mostly because I don't even know my own son anymore. How can we have fallen so far from each other?" She looks at me, looking for me to give her the answer.

"I don't think it's your fault. I think it's history repeating itself. People are trying to discredit him like they did to Andrew. I just don't know what they could get of Marcel stepping down of the company..."

I don't look at her. I get too caught up in a whirlwind of my own feelings. She knows about Marcel and I's relationship, but I feel like she doesn't know the important things.

"I love him, Edith. I do. He's the love of my life and I'm not shy to tell you now. Your son has changed my life in so many ways. I will always have his back. I'm here to stay." I tell her softly as if we were shielded from the buzzing of the people talking all around us.

"I know..." She says sweetly in response. I get instantly a shiver of happiness to know I don't have to prove myself anymore. "When you talked about Kate at dinner, you didn't fake your accent. You were talking to me like you are talking to me now. I didn't recognise you at first, but you made it so easy for me when we had that chat in my office. So I have had time to get used to the idea. I saw so much of him in your story. I understand why you are perfect for each other."

"That means a great deal for you to say that."

"But you do realise that I can't treat you any differently at work. That's why I wanted to discuss this over dinner. I want you to keep it a secret, just not from me. You have raised some doubts into my mind and I'll investigate them when I get back to work on Monday. There seems to be a lot of manipulation in the company. It needs to stop." She says out loud, even though I don't think she intended it for me. But seeing that she wants to change how things work, it makes hopeful. It makes me remember what happened earlier.