Chapter Seven

No Episode

[Amanda]

  "I'm not ready for this," I declared, turning my back on the door to the common room, where the entire population of Jasper waited. They didn't know it was me who was going to be speaking to them, but they knew someone was going to and that it had to do with the now destroyed town.
  Finn grabbed my shoulders, holding me in place. "Yes, you are. You practiced this speech over a hundred times, and you've aced it every time. You have nothing to worry about."
  "Besides," Miko piped up. "You look absolutely fabulous. I mean, that outfit makes you look like a boss."
  "What she means to say," Mrs. Darby shook her head before giving me a gentle look. "Is that you look mature and respectable. Remember, most of these people already know you. Well, about you anyways. All you have to do is deliver the news."
  I tugged on the sleeve of my blazer. I had opted for a more professional look, with a black blazer over a navy blue blouse along with black dress pants and black flats. This was my attempt at appearing like I knew what I was doing, which did very little to calm my nerves.

  Maybe I'm trying too hard. They'll see right through me.
  No, they already know who I am. Mrs. Darby is right. It's not like I'm some sort of stranger.
  But you are a stranger to these people. All they know about you is that you have a lot of money and you live on the edge of town.
  Stop overthinking this!
  I dropped my head into my hands, slumping back against the wall. "I can't do this. How do people do speeches for a living?"
  "You're thinking about it too much," Finn said reassuringly. "It's not as bad as you think it is."
  I shot him a sharp look. "Then why don't you go out there and give the speech?"
  He tried not to smile, but I could see amusement form on his face. "Because you're the CEO of BeckIT, not me. And it was your idea in the first place."
  "Come on, girl!" Miko put a hand on my shoulder. "You've taken out Cons, you can totally kick this speech's butt!"
  "Decepticons are very different from speeches, Miko."
  Footsteps down the hall made us all turn to see Agent Fowler striding towards us. "I figured you'd still be out here."
  I shook my head. "I change my mind. You can give the speech."
  He smirked, holding out a hand. "This is your speech, Amanda. Not any of ours. You've got to be the one to give it. And if we haven't convinced you of that, maybe he can."
  Confused, I looked down to see Fowler holding out a phone. I took it, raising to my ear cautiously. "Hello?"
  "Hello, Amanda," Optimus' voice sent a rush of relief through me. "I'm glad to have caught you before your speech."
  I dimly noticed Agent Fowler usher Finn, Miko, and Mrs. Darby away to give me privacy. "Oh, Optimus, I can't do this. I'm not the 'stand in front of a crowd and inspire them' type! When was the last time I stood up in front of a crowd? Never! How am I supposed to not make a massive fool of myself and make the people in there hopeful again?"
  "Amanda," the Prime's voice was calm, calming me down as he spoke. "I have seen you stand before the Autobots and give them commands. I have seen you stand your ground in front of the Decepticons who wished to bring you and your friends harm. You have travelled to another planet, defended yourself and others, and become the champion of Cybertron's own patron goddess. You may not see it, but you have already conquered challenges that no other individual has. Delivering your speech will simply be another success that you will smile about when the day is through."
  I rubbed my temple with my free hand. "I don't know, Optimus. Those other things... I just did them. I didn't need to worry about messing up."
  "Yes, you did. You just did not notice. If you had acted differently in any of those situations, you and I may not be having this conversation."

  I sighed. "Is it weird that I'd rather be in those situations than give a speech?"

  "No, it is not," I could hear the amusement in his tone. "You have the support of myself, and the rest of Team Prime, Amanda. You will succeed."