Chapter Thirteen

Episode 9 - Evolution

[Amanda]

  Back at the new base, I sat on the couch, my new book in hand as Team Prime did... well, whatever they were usually doing. Scouting, clacking at computers, or playfully arguing.

A Champion of Cleona carries a weight on her shoulders: the responsibility to carry out the will of the goddess of truth and justice. While the truth is manipulated by many, the truth of the champions will never be. It is thus why each Champion of Cleona has a Scribe; an individual deemed worthy by the goddess who records the accomplishments and feats of their champion. Scribes lend their eyes in moments when the power of Cleona are called upon, documenting what a champion does. That documentation will appear in this very text. In this text, champions are able to read of their predecessors and learn of their victories, as well as their defeats.

   "Doctor," I looked up to see that Ultra Magnus had approached Ratchet, who was clearly deep in concentration. "What is the current status of your synthetic energon experiments?"

   "Doing the best I can, Commander," Ratchet replied, only slight annoyance in his tone as he kept his back to the commander. "Given the lack of functional equipment at my disposal."

   Ultra Magnus raised an eyebrow. "You do realize that an alternative energy source may be essential to our survival?"

   Ratchet gave a half, bitter laugh before actually turning to face the commander. "Believe me, Ultra Magnus, no one is more acutely aware of the stakes than I am."

   His reaction seemed to have made the commander do a double take. "Of course."

   I narrowed my eyes, my focus now solely on the newest member of the team as he stood for a moment more before turning to Bumblebee, Arcee, and Bulkhead, who were all gathered around the computer that Smokescreen was typing at.

   "Beasthunters," Ultra Magnus addressed them, making me frown. They weren't really beast hunters... there was literally only one Predacon out there and our goal was never to hunt it, just defend ourselves from it.

   "May I ask why you are not currently scouting grid 305 for Predacon bones?" Ultra Magnus continued.

   "Because we just returned from surveying grids 301 to 304," Arcee's tone was just about as done as I felt with the commander.

   Bulkhead cleared his throat as if to excuse her tone. "We're here to log our field reports, per your protocol, Commander Magnus, sir."

   The commander nodded, also a bit taken aback, but the sight of Wheeljack walking in made that hesitation vanish.

   "Soldier, I don't recall giving you permission to leave the base," he said.

   Seriously?! Permission to leave the base- is this guy for real?!

   "Because you didn't," Wheeljack said. "Sir."

   Ultra Magnus approached the wrecker, towering over him. Optimus never uses his height to tower over people like that. "Why are your hands smeared... with coolant?"

  Wheeljack clapped his hands together, smearing the green stuff on them. "I recalibrated your ship's engines. You can expect a 10% increase in your ship's thrust."

   And with that, the commander took yet another double take. Lucky for him, the sound of a familiar jetpack took everyone's attention off him. Well, everyone except for mine, even as Optimus landed at the entrance of the base and the others moved to greet him. Bumblebee buzzed happily, while the others called out their own greetings as they gathered in front of the Prime.