Chapter Nine

Okay, am I the only one who still isn't used to this Wattpad update, where the 'write' button is somewhere different? It's always messing with me.

Also, you guys are the best. You comments are gold and I love seeing how much you like reading my stories! That being said, Scars Don't Heal, my first TFP book, is almost at 100k reads! What?! Thanks to you fantastic peeps, I'm still around and writing :)

Anyways, enjoy this chapter lovelies! You deserve it!

No Episode

[Amanda]

  "Come on guys," I turned to Jack, Miko and Raf. "You've got to head back to the camp before anyone get suspicious about where you've been all day."

   "Are you coming with?" Miko asked and I shook my head.

   I don't belong there.

   Despite my efforts to connect with the people of Jasper, my connections have been strictly professional. The people my age still thought of me as an outsider, and their parents too. I would always be the girl at the edge of town, and truthfully, I was fine with that.

   Which was why I watched as the three of them said their goodbyes to the Autobots and slipped out the base doors before heading to the complex where the people of Jasper were staying. Truthfully, I wasn't sure how the military managed to have the Autobot base within range of the camp where the townspeople were staying, but Finn had already assured me that it was all taken care of.

   I returned to the crook in the wall on the platform, which I had basically claimed as mine, and opened up my laptop. As the Autobots milled around, still working on the issue of the Predacons, I finished off my report on the rebuilding of Jasper. All I needed to do before building could start was have another board meeting, just to go over final details. I had already scheduled one for tomorrow morning, meaning I should probably head to bed. Still, a nervous buzz kept me awake.

   "Amanda," I looked up to see Optimus just in front of the platform. "Perhaps you should follow your own lead and retire as well."

   I shrugged. "It feels like I should have more to do. I've got that board meeting tomorrow to finalize things before construction."

   He nodded. "I remember. Are you certain you would not like an escort?"

   "I'm just headed to Vegas," I said, shaking my head. "Besides, your vehicle mode is a military prototype. Not exactly low profile."

   "Perhaps Bumblebee can escort you."

   "He's already had to so many times and there was no incidents," I gave him a small smile. "Don't worry, I'll be okay. And even if I'm not, I've got you on speed dial."

   Hesitation crossed his face briefly, but it cleared quickly. "You should still rest. I believe you are already as prepared as you can be for tomorrow. You mustn't exhaust yourself."

   Whenever he took on that fatherly tone, I knew I couldn't win. So I shut my laptop and sighed. "Fine. I'll see you tomorrow before I leave?"

   "Of course. Good night, Amanda."

   "'Night, Optimus."

   I slipped out of the base, my bag over my shoulder, and made my way towards the Jasper complex. The complex had more rooms than the other military barracks, with a common room, a massive kitchen, and rooms for every family. It was nice for the people who knew each other, and it allowed me to walk through unnoticed. Usually, by the time I got in, everyone was asleep and just a few stragglers roamed the halls, making it easy for me to get through. But tonight, there was a party in the common room. I hesitated by the entrance of the room, seeing Jack, Miko, Raf, and even Finn inside, having a good time. There was loud 80's music playing, and a makeshift dance floor was created in the middle of the room. The couches and tables had been pushed to the sides, allowing everyone to fit.

   It all looked like a lot of fun. The grins on my friends' faces almost made me smile to myself, but I didn't. Instead, I headed to my room, which was at the very back of the complex. I kicked the door shut, and slung my bag to the tiny desk before slumping back on the small bed. Everything was tiny compared to my old room, which made me think about my house.

   I'd never really thought of the Beckett Estate as home, especially after my mom died there. The empty halls used to infuriate me and drive me mad. I used to hate the massive green grounds around the mansion, hate the cars that reminded me of my mom, hate the features that should have been fun but only made me lonlier. It was only until I became friends with Miko, Jack, Raf, and Finn did I actually feel at home in those walls. Maybe it was because I finally had someone to share the estate with.

   But now it's a mess.

   I refused to think about it. There was so much in the estate that my mom loved, things that could only be repaired so much. The cars were probably damaged, and it'd take ages to find someone to repair them so I wouldn't have to buy new ones. While I could, I didn't want to get rid of the cars my mom collected. She used to love her collection.

   "Okay, stop," I said to myself, and changed into some sweatpants and a t-shirt that the military gave to all of us. While everyone else in town had gone back to their homes to collect what they could, I didn't. Miko insisted on sharing some of the clothes she managed to grab, which was the only reason I had a change of clothes. Otherwise, the only other things I had were what I picked up from the BeckIT building in Vegas during my couple of visits.

   Shoving all of that out of my mind, I washed up and headed to bed, hoping my thoughts wouldn't plague my dreams.

   Obviously I didn't hope hard enough.

   "You are nothing to me, little goddess. I have snuffed more Champions of Cleona than you can ever imagine. You may believe yourself to be powerful, but I will crush you underneath my heel like all the others. You cannot stand against me."

   "And who the hell do you think you are?"

   A razor sharp smile glinted in the darkness. Claws reached towards me, so close I could feel them nick my throat.

   "I am Tempest." Her claws closed around my neck.

   My eyes flew open, my hands flying towards my throat, my breathing coming in short rasps. Sunlight peeked through the thin curtains, painting my grey room with life.

   Grey room? My room isn't grey, it's beige. Where am-

   The military base. Jasper is in ruins. My room in the military complex.

   I dropped my head into my hands, trying to shake off the dream, but I could still feel those claws reaching for me, scratching my neck and closing around it.

   It was just a dream. It was just a dream. It was just a dream.

   But it felt so real.

   Just. A. Dream.

   I glanced over at the alarm clock on my bedside table. 9:27 am. Might as well get ready for that meeting. So I got up and headed to the bathroom. It was only when I saw myself in the mirror hanging over the sink did I see the red scratches on my throat.

   "What the scrap..." I whispered, touching the scratches gently. The scratches weren't deep, just enough to leave a mark. They were already starting to fade. My thoughts began to race, as well as my heart rate.

   No, don't focus on this. You have a meeting in a few hours. Worry about it after.

   This meeting is important.

   So is this.

   Enough.

   I squeezed my eyes shut, willing the arguments in my head to cease. I did have that BeckIT meeting... worrying about the dream would have to wait. So I hopped into the shower, hoping to wash away my worries, and by the time I came out, the scratches were dulling and fading already.

   No need for concern.

  Yet.