Chapter Thirty-Nine

This song totally goes with the chapter, so give it a listen!

[Amanda]

  When we returned from Cybertron, I didn't stay at the base. I didn't answer Agent Fowler when he asked what had happened. I didn't let my friends stop me from getting to my Mustang.

  But I did turn to them before climbing in, and said, "I just need some time."

  Then I left.

  I didn't even realize that I had driven back home until I passed the front gates of the Beckett Estate. Everything felt numb. I didn't feel the gravel under my heels, or the wind that seemed to be shifting the leaves. And that hole in my chest? That was the only thing I could actually feel. That gaping hole that seemed to be swallowing me whole.

  I didn't even make it past the front door. The moment my feet hit the first porch step, that was it. I dropped, sitting on the steps with my elbows on my knees, propping my head up in my hands. The sun began to set and time didn't seem to be working properly, but then what was at this point?

  Even though I couldn't believe it, I also did. Grief is a weird thing. You don't realize it has taken over, how it makes you doubt everything, until after the fact. I knew Optimus was gone, I physically felt it, but I still could hardly believe it. He was always so... alive. Even when he was hurt, his eyes were bright, his spark even brighter. How was it possible that someone so alive could die?

  Considering the circumstances, I should have been almost glad this was how the Prime went. He wasn't defeated by any enemy, he fell saving all future Cybertronians by making their lives possible. It was the most honorable way to go.

  That didn't make it hurt any less though. Maybe one day it would, but certainly not now.

  "You've already given up so damn much for this cause, why it is that you feel your life has to be added onto that list?!"

  I had said those words out of sheer anger when Optimus had stayed behind as the Decepticons attacked our old base. They still had merit now, but all of the anger was gone. As the words rang in my head, they were more of a plea than a shout.

  The sun had disappeared behind the horizon by now, and I took a long, shuddering breath. In that moment, my thoughts were completely silent, a stark difference from before, and I found myself wondering what to do now.

  At least before, I knew Optimus would be there. I knew that all I had to do was space bridge over, or send him an urgent message, and we'd meet up instantly. Now...

  My shoulders shook as a sob ripped through me, and I let my tears fall for the second time today. Optimus would have hated to see me like this, but I couldn't help it, and I just hoped he'd understand.

~~~

[Arcee]

  "Arcee to base," I said over the comms.

  "Go ahead, Arcee," Jack's voice filled my ear.

  "Amanda's not here," I said, looking around the front of the Beckett estate. "I'm pretty sure her security system picked up on me five minutes ago and I've gotten nothing."

  "Maybe she isn't in the mood to talk? It's only been a couple of days."

  "But she wouldn't leave me out front, would she?"

  He paused for a second before answering. "Yeah, you're right. Maybe she left? Is her Mustang out front?"

  "Her what?"