Chapter Fifteen

Short, but important chapter :)

Episode 10 - Minus One

[Amanda]

   "We've done everything we can, considering the limitations of equipment and less than ideal spare parts," Ratchet announced as he finished attaching a new hand for Ultra Magnus. I sat by the commander's side, focusing my powers on making sure that the area felt numb as Ratchet worked. "It remains uncertain if Ultra Magnus' new appendage will be fit for battle though it should prove functional, after the requisite amount of therapy."

   The medic stepped back, but I continued to pour silver dust over Ultra Magnus' new hand. It wasn't at all like his old one. This was more claw shaped, with two fingers and a thumb. It was all the Cybertronian metal that we could round up, so Ratchet and I had to do the best we could.

   "This is all we can hope for, old friend," Optimus said. "You and Amanda have done more than we could ask."

   "He's coming to," I said, feeling a shift in my powers, making me ease away from the commander. The sudden absence of focus made me stumble as I stood, but Optimus' open hand was there right away, and I reach for him. I stepped into his hand, and he lifted me up to his shoulder, where I sat to catch my breath. I may have been getting a hand at the whole champion thing, but to take on a Cybertronian's pain... that was always hard.

   Miko, who was standing on the platform with Finn, Jack, and Raf, gave me a questioning look, but I gave her a thumbs up in response, silently telling her that I was fine. Meanwhile, Arcee turned to Wheeljack, who looked ashamed.

   "You okay?" She asked the wrecker.

   He rubbed his arms. "I'm still two fisted."

   "So's Magnus."

   "Wait and see," Smokescreen jumped in. "The claw's gonna become his signature, you know," He turned to Bumblebee, and I tensed. "Like the way you own that voice box Ratchet slapped in your throat."

   There it is.

   Bumblebee narrowed his eyes, and began buzzing angrily.

   "I mean, you know," Smokescreen tried backing up. "Everyone understands you fine! Why would you even consider getting it fixed now, am I right?"

   The scout continued yelling at the rookie with his buzzes before storming off.

   "Whoa," Miko said, turning to Raf. "What'd he say?"

   Raf watched as his guardian stormed off. "Bee's kind of still attached to the sound of his own voice. His original one."

   "Hey, look at the bright, shiny side," Bulkhead spoke up. "Commander Magnus and Jackie single handedly out the kibosh on Project Predacon."

   Optimus took that as his cue to walk forward. "Though at least one beast that we know of remains. The one who has demonstrated the ability to transform."

   "Speaking of Project Predacon," I started, but quietly so that the others wouldn't hear me. "Optimus, something weird happened after Ultra Magnus and Wheeljack blew up the lab."

   As the others began talking again, the Prime shifted away, walking deeper into the base. "What is wrong, Amanda?"

   "I felt... I don't know. Like a part of Cleona's powers jump, and I only feel that jump when I'm around Cybertronian metal."

   Though I really couldn't see his face from this angle, I could sense the Prime's slight confusion. "I do not understand."

   I looked down at my hands. "It's hard to explain but.. I get this tingly feeling whenever I'm around Cybertronians and your tech. It feels sort of familiar. I guess that's Cleona's doing, since her powers are really about controlling Cybertronian cybermatter but have adapted to control whatever metals found on a champion's homeworld. Anyways, that tingly feeling has always been around, but for some reason, it really jumped after that explosion."

   The Prime was silent for a long moment, and just as he opened his mouth to speak, a call came in from Agent Fowler.

   "Prime!" Fowler yelled, his voice echoing in the base. "We have trouble brewing."

   Optimus gave me a look, and I smiled, shrugging my shoulders. "Duty calls."

   As we moved towards the platform, Agent Fowler continued. "The Cons staged a smash and grab at the Los Alamos nuclear plant last night, and made off with 20 tons of control rods."

   Ratchet made a face. "What are the Decepticons looking to build?"

   A dark feeling came over me. I wish I knew.