Chapter Twenty-One

Episode 12 - Synthesis

[Amanda]

   "You sure we don't need to install a GPS on our scout here?" Agent Fowler asked. We all stood outside the base, surrounding the drone Raf and Wheeljack had just finished building. There was a chill in the air, and I rubbed my arms, trying to warm myself up. Truthfully, I don't think it was just the night that was sending chills through my body though. We were closing in on the Cons, and that always had repercussions. The first time there was a big encounter like this, Optimus lost his memories and we lost him to the Cons. The second time, Team Prime was scattered across the country, our old base was destroyed along with Jasper, and Optimus was on his deathbed. What would happen this time only filled me with dread and some fear.

   "Too risky," Wheeljack shook his head. "Both sides are getting real good at rooting out that kind of trick."

   "Besides," Smokescreen piped up with that proud, annoying voice he got whenever he fangirled over the Prime. "We don't need a tracker. We have Optimus."

   That made me frown. I didn't like- no, I downright hated the fact that we were sending Optimus right into the belly of the beast, especially with Predaking gunning for him. Last time they fought, it wasn't too pretty on Optimus' side.

   As if sensing my anxiety, Optimus looked down at me from his spot next to me, his gaze catching mine. I chewed my lip, the telltale sign that I was worrying, and he gave me a comforting look, a slight smile tugging on his lips. I didn't return it though, not with my nerves running high, which made him shift over to nudge me slightly. The single, playful action made me huff and give the Prime the smile he wanted, which earned me another assuring look.

   "But won't the Cons see you coming, big guy?" Miko asked the Prime, taking his attention away from me.

   "Not until it's too late," Bulkhead said.

   "We'll be prepared for immediate mobilization upon your command, sir," Ultra Magnus said, and I appreciated how the commander always had the Prime's back. It made me feel a little better about seeing Optimus off every time they had to go into battle.

   "Good luck, Optimus," Smokescreen said.

   "Be safe," Arcee added.

   Bumblebee buzzed something encouragingly too.

   The Prime nodded in acknowledgement. "Whatever the outcome, know that Ratchet would be most proud of your contributions."

   He walked towards the drone, and once he stood beside it, his gaze went to me again. I fixed him with a stern look.

   "You had better not do anything too heroic," I warned him. "Or else."

   That small smile appeared on his face again. "Understood."

   "Come on, kid," Wheeljack knelt in front of Raf. "Let's light this thing."

   Raf nodded seriously and clicked a few buttons on his remote control. The drone shot up into the sky. Optimus activated his jetpack a second later, and took off after it. I stayed in my place, watching as the two lights became smaller and smaller until they disappeared.

   "Well," Arcee spoke up first. "Let's go get battle ready."

   The Autobots retreated into the base, but I stayed where I was.

   "Come on, A," Miko threw an arm around my shoulders and tugged me towards the base. "Let's go help the Bots gear up."

   "Yeah," Finn came up on my other side. "There's no use standing out here all night. You can track Optimus on the computers inside."