Chapter Eighteen

I love you all for reading this.

Episode 11 - Persuasion

[Elsewhere]

   "Peeled some paint off Laserbeak," Smokescreen said half heartedly, disappointment clear in his tone as he watched Arcee pick up the bit of metal he shot off. "But if I were a better shot, Ratchet would still be here."

   No one expected Laserbeak to have found Soundwave, but the tiny Con did and uploaded a new objective into the communications master, who had risen as though nothing had happened. Soundwave had taken out Bulkhead, Smokescreen, Finn and Agent Fowler without a second glance, before taking Ratchet and disappearing.

   "Chin up, soldier," Ultra Magnus said. "We've combed the entire floor. For the moment, that remains our only clue."

   "Nothing in the ground bridge log," Bulkhead reported. "If they bridged Ratchet out of here, they used theirs, not ours."

   "Why take Ratchet prisoner, but leave these two behind?" Arcee asked.

   "If Megatron intend to hold our medic hostage," Ultra Magnus said. "I find it curious that he's made no demands."

   Optimus walked forward, saying his first words since returning to the base. "It would stand to reason that Ratchet must possess something the Decepticons want."

   Then the Prime's eyes widened a bit. No one noticed, but he had realized something. Ratchet had told him that Amanda discovered the reason behind the Decepticon theft of a particle collider; to restore the Omega Lock. Ratchet was a medic and also a scientist as well who had a certain level of expertise in terms of the contraption. But he wasn't the only one with a connection to the Omega Lock.

   The goddess always had a connection.

   "Arcee," Optimus quickly strode forward. "Open the ground bridge and transport me to Amanda's home immediately."

[Amanda]

   Laserbeak let off a stream of shots, all of which landing far enough to avoid my automatic shield but close enough to throw dirt into my face. I created a protective bubble around myself as he- it- whatever- flew overhead, and while it past me, I went on the offensive, launching lobs of silver dust at it. The damn tiny Con was tricky though, as it whizzed around so quickly that none of my hits made their mark. It swooped low, only missing me because I dived out of the way, and then it would fly high just to repeat everything over again.

   "You stupid little bird," I muttered, hitting the ground hard in order to dodge a hit. "Just stay still for one second."

   Then an idea hit me. First I ran towards the end of my driveway until I was out on the street, where there were boulders and trees lining the pavement. I stayed low, and as I waited for Laserbeak to circle around again, I collected a massive ball of silver dust. When the little devil creature flew back towards me, I let the silver dust go, engulfing it. The tiny Con fell to the ground, twitching.

   "Ha!" I walked over to it. "Take that you-"

   My triumph was cut off when a shadow fell over me. I turned slowly to see none other than Soundwave standing on the street around a mile away from me, with an unconscious Cybertronian tucked under his arm.

   "Ratchet?" My voice came out with a waver, my heart racing.

   Soundwave has Ratchet. Soundwave has Ratchet. Soundwave has Ratchet.