Chapter Thirty-Four

[Amanda]

  Real life was something I did not want to exist on Monday.

  I spent all of Sunday watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine and eating junk food as I iced my ankle. The swelling had gone down enough for me to walk properly now as long as I didn't overdo it, which I considered a big success. Walking in with a limp would be a little difficult to explain if I intended to leave out all of the classified bits, which encompassed just about everything that happened on Saturday.

  Truthfully, it was hard to believe it all happened. The battle, Nemesis Prime, it was all a blur, except for one thing, which was crystal clear in my mind.

  Finn had totally kissed me, and then left me gaping like a fish out of water. I had told Miko about what happened (after making her swear an oath of secrecy) and she had completely freaked out before insisting I confront him about the encounter. I reluctantly agreed, and was now on the front steps of the school before my meeting with the principal and faculty, waiting for Finn to show up after I texted him that we had to talk.

  "Hope I didn't keep you waiting too long," a voice said behind me and I whirled around to see Finn walking up the steps towards me. My heart leapt, but I refused to listen to it right now, especially since it had been muddled all weekend.

  "I just walked out," I said, trying to sound casual and not like I'd been thinking about him all of yesterday.

  Primus, what is wrong with me?!

  "So what's up?" He asked, tucking his hands into his pockets. "How's your ankle? You look a lot better- I mean, you're limp is gone."

  How can he act so chill?!

  Stop over analyzing! Just talk!

  "On Saturday, you kissed me," I blurted. "And then said goodnight and left."

  He gave me a sheepish look. "Right, uh, maybe my execution wasn't the best-"

  "I mean, you at least have to take me out on a date before you do that sort of thing."

  "Oh!" He exclaimed, clearly surprised. "I thought you- nevermind. So... you're not mad at me?"

  I crossed my arms. "I've got a policy, Finn. You pass a first date, then you can pull that on me."

  "So all I have to do is win you over with a date?"

  "You make it sound like something easy."

  "No! Not at all! I mean-" He rubbed the back of his neck. "Let's try this again. Amanda, will you go on a date with me?"

  I pretended to look disinterested. "Hm, I don't know, I'll have to check my schedule."

  He playfully shouldered me, causing me to let out a laugh.

  "Let's see what you got, Ryen."

  "You're on, Beckett. I'll pick you up at 7."

  "So soon?"

  He began to retreat towards the street, and sent a wink over his shoulder. "Wouldn't want to keep you waiting."

  It was silent again all of a sudden, and I just realized what had happened.

  Well then, Beckett. You've got yourself a date.

  "Miss Beckett? The school board is ready for you."

  Aaaaaand back to reality.

~~~