Chapter Twenty-Six

No Episode

[Amanda]

   "This is amazing," I grinned, barely able to keep in my excitement.

   "I can't believe it!" Miko exclaimed.

   Jack let out a laugh. "All this while we were busy with..."

   "Yeah," Raf smiled.

   We were standing in the Jasper town park, surrounded by newly built homes and newly paved roads. While we'd been preoccupied with the Omega Lock, the construction crews hadn't let up and at this point, Jasper was basically rebuilt. A few houses, businesses, and community buildings needed a couple finishing touches, but overall, it was stunning. The people of Jasper had already begun to move back in, taking the cheques that I'd signed over to purchase new furniture, clothes, food, and everything they needed to get their lives back on track. I was seeing it all right in front of me, but I could scarcely believe it was true.

   "The restoration of the entire town should be finished by the end of the week, Miss Beckett," Carol Saunders, the head of the construction crews, reported, handing me a clipboard with the remaining tasks listed on it. "I'm having my teams split between planting and creating greenspaces, finishing the last few things construction wise, and helping the people here move back in. If there's anything else you need done, I can get a team on that too."

   I shook my head, still awestruck. "Honestly, Carol, this is all fantastic. I never expected it to be completed so quickly. I'm ecstatic over your teams' results as a whole."

   "Just doing our job, miss," She said, though she looked very pleased at my words. "If that's all-"

   "Yes, yes, sorry for pulling you away from your work. I'll be in touch soon after I look over these. Thank you again for everything."

   "Anytime, Miss Beckett," She nodded at me and then took off in the direction of one of her construction teams. I turned to my friends, smiling at their shocked and happy faces.

   "Well?" I prompted.

   "This is great!" Miko squealed. "You should see my host parents' house! It looks like nothing even happened, and they already bought all the new furniture and everything and-"

   Jack laughed. "Slow down, Miko. You're going to run out of oxygen."

   "Hey, I don't blame her," I said. "I still can't believe this."

   Raf hugged me. "You did it, A. You rebuilt Jasper."

   "I hardly did anything," I shook my head. "It was the construction crews that rebuilt it."

   "But you lead them," Jack nudged me. "You deserve some congrats too."

   "Yeah, so you'd better take it," Miko finished, making me laugh.

   "Okay, okay," I raised my hands in surrender. "Thank you all for your recognition."

   The others laughed at that, and for a moment I completely forgot about the lingering sadness that still loomed over us. The Autobots had left only four days ago, and we were still on the mend from that. While the others had already been in contact with their Autobot guardian, I had yet to receive word from Optimus himself. Bumblebee and Arcee both told me that he'd been going nonstop ever since arriving back on Cybertron, but that he wanted them to tell me that he said hello. I was glad that the Prime was doing what he did best, leading Cybertronians to brighter futures, but I did also wish he found a little bit of time to talk to me. Still, I wasn't going to let the others know that.