Chapter 20

Chapter 20 - Facing The Consequences

"Why are you avoiding me?"

Izuku sighed deeply the breath he has been holding in as he mentally swore in his head. He didn't know what to say. Should he, though? Or should he just deny it? Well, it's pretty obvious on which he was going to pick.

"Avoiding you? No, I'm not." He was lying all over again. He just wished he could just escape this conversation as soon as possible.

Ochako, of course, didn't buy that answer. "Deku-kun. It's so obvious, you know," She replied. "Quit saying these stuffs and tell me the truth."

Actually, the reason why Ochako is doing this is to know if she could see if Izuku likes her or not. It's her way of confessing. She just thought that this will go as planned.

Izuku knew that he wasn't going anywhere. There's no lie that she finally has the idea of him avoiding her. He can't escape this anymore. He wasn't prepared to tell her.

"Please, Deku-kun." She pleaded.

Izuku took in a sharp inhale and spoke, with hesitation. He opened his mouth but still, no words came out. He didn't know what to say but to just shut himself up. What will be her reaction?

"It's about Bakugou, isn't it?" She said in a lowly tone after the long silence Izuku has put between them.

The green-haired could feel his heart stopped when she told him those. Shocked, he was, knowing the fact that it has to do something with her childhood friend. He kept quiet, still left there with no words.

The silence seems like a yes to her. Due to that answer, she began frowning sadly.

"You save me, didn't you?"

"S-Sorry?" He didn't quite comprehend what she just said.

She emphasized it more. "You saved me when I drowned, back at P.E class, am I right?"

Izuku finally understood and looked down, he shut his eyes and gave her a small nod as his response. There's no way he could lie to that.

Ochako felt hurt by the fact that he didn't tell her. And also that he lied about it. Saying that Bakugou saved her instead. Can't believe he played dumb with her.

"Why did you lie to me about it?" She asked him.

Stupid, really. Izuku can't speak at all. The words he wanted to say so badly, just doesn't want to come out.

"What did Bakugou tell you?"

Should he tell? I mean, does he have the right to? After he tells the truth, what will happen next? Nothing can point out to his assumptions. What will he get?

We'll just have to see it for ourselves.

"Deku-kun." She demanded for an answer already.

Izuku took in a sharp inhale before eventually telling her. "Bakugou told me to avoid you."

Finally, after hearing the truth, she spoke. "And why did you agree to that?"

He then realized, why did he?

"B-Because he likes you and I didn't want to get in the way."

She couldn't believe it. All those avoiding, gap and space between them, is because he didn't want to get in the way of someone who likes her? Like, will that choice make her happy?

Not talking to her all of sudden, not thinking of what she feels about it, did he even tried to contemplate about it?

"Why..."