Chapter 95- Africa

Sabrina's POV

I've finally made it! I'm in Africa! I've been here for three weeks now, however, it wasn't easy at all to convince Shawn...

"What?" Shawn looks at me with a shocked look
"Yeah, I wanna go there and help build a school"
"Okay, hormones" I frown
"No Shawn, no hormones, my pregnancy has nothing to do with this"
"Yeah, hormones may make you rush into decisions"
"This is not the case"
"Yes, it is" he's really getting on my nerves
"Listen, I'll go there with Unicef for only a couple of months"
"Months?! You wanna have our child in Africa?!"
"I'll be on my seventh month at the end of it"
"So you wanna skip a Christmas and a New Year?!" I bite my lip, he's right, I can't skip them, plus, they're ahead with their work for the school
"You're right about it" I sigh
"I'll ask if I can come back two weeks earlier"
"Ask? You've already called?!" I nod
"Yeah, I talked with my team, they were not happy about it but screw them. Then I-"
"No, no screw them! You're wrong here Sabrina! You can't leave like this for a month and a half in Africa in your state! Do you know how much dangerous that is?"
"Chill, I'll be in South Africa, Johannesburg, I'll stay right next to an hospital in case anything goes wrong" he rolls his eyes and replies to me in a sarcastic tone
"Yeah, that doesn't worry me more at all" I stand up and take his hands
"I'll be surrounded by a team of people all day, they'll take care of me, there's also gonna be an ambulance at the construction site. I'll be cautious with every movement I make" he sighs and looks at me in disappointment
"I don't understand Sabrina, first you say you feel insecure because I'm not there with you and the next day you say you wanna go to the other part of the world?"
"Shawn, let me explain-"
"I'm late for work" And with that, he storms away...

After that morning we kept fighting every day. We would not fight only about my departure, but also for insignificant things like walking out the dog or cleaning the mess that our kids would do. This changed until I finally showed him my plane ticket. He was angry, devastated, disappointed and sad at the same time. It seemed like he regretted having all those fights fight me...

"Shawn it was your turn!"
"It was not! I did it yesterday!"
"Don't yell like that! The kids might hear you!"
"You started it first!" I take a deep breath
"Whatever, I'll be gone soon, let's see how you'll manage to do everything on your own" I sit on the bed
"You are not leaving! I don't know how many times I have to tell you that!"
"You can't control me Shawn! I'm leaving next week!" I pull out of my pants pocket my ticket and show it to him
"Fuck..." he replies in a whisper, his expression softens as he buries his face on his hands.
"Shawn?"
"What do you want now?"
"I'll miss you" we hug
"Please don't leave Sabrina, I'm sorry if I did something wrong. I know that I've been a jerk but I didn't know how to act, I was shocked, maybe my reaction wasn't the best one but-"
"You didn't do anything wrong. I need to find myself, a purpose. Don't blame it on you"

And since then we didn't talk about it anymore,  we pretended to be a perfect family for nearly a week, however, it was clear that there was still something off between the two of us, I can't tell what it was, but there was definitely something not working between us. Maybe it was because of all those fights, or the fact that we refused to consider each other feelings to make selfish decisions, but I know that we'll have to repair our relationship when I'll get back. We hurt each other and I hate it.
The act of the perfect family ended when we had to say goodbye at the airport. Alex and Harry were at kindergarten so I had the chance to say goodbye to them, now it was Shawn's turn...

"I guess this is it"  I say when we arrive in front of my terminal
"Yeah" We look in each other's eyes. Paparazzis are everywhere, flashing at us but we don't care, reporters are asking us questions but we don't care. Hell, there could be an earthquake and we still wouldn't care.
"I'm really sorry for being an asshole"
"It's fine, I was an asshole to you too" we both chuckle
"I just wanna know you're fine"
"I'll be fine, I promise. I'll call you everyday and if something goes wrong I'll come back right away, I swear" he rests his hands on my bump, gently massaging it. Everyone aw's at us but we ignore them. Right now we are each other's universe
"Please be careful"
"I will" he kisses my head and rests his forehead against mine. At this point we're both sobbing.
"Bye, I love you"
"I love you too" I turn around, quickly wipe away my tears and walk away. I wanna turn around but I can't, I gotta be strong, for both of us.

I kept my promise, I call him everyday and we talk for about an hour. I also talk to the Harry and Alex and it kills me not hugging them. I miss my family. However, not everything has to be sad, in fact, the school is almost finished now! We just have to finish some minor details but it's basically done. I'm glad that I could contribute somehow.
Sometimes, before work, I visit the children's orphanage and read a book to the kids, there are some days when I also play with them. Their positive and happy energy it's simply incredible . There's also this one little girl, her name is Sophia, she's about three years old but she's very smart, kind and intelligent. As soon as I saw her I felt some kind of connection. Every time that she cries my maternal instincts wake up and I just wanna hug her and comfort her, like a mom would do. I even take her with me to work -with the orphanage permission- and spend some time with her, she's an angel.
"Hey Carpenter! There's someone here for you" I stop hammering and take off my glasses, weird, who could it be?
"Who is it?" I follow my co-worker
"He said he wanted to be a surprise" I frown
"Okay" when we get out of the building Sophia stands up from the chair she was sitting on, runs up to me and hugs me while holding a drawing
"Hi Sof" I crouch down and take the drawing
"It's beautiful! Did you do this?" she nods happily and we hug
"Hi Sab" I hear a familiar voice say. Too familiar, is this-
"Shawn?"