Chapter 5

It's the first time I felt safe in years. Even if I was deep underground with people I don't know, I know I'm okay. Abby took me to have a shower which I needed desperately. All the water comes from the river along the tunnel but once you walk down a little more, the water is crystal clear. I was given the Rebel uniform to wear which fit perfectly. Abby was showing me around, telling we where everything is and I also met new people. I'm kind of antisocial which is a problem. After being alone for five years, seeing all these people shocked me. At least Abby can stand me.

I was then taken to the quarters. The maximum was ten people to each large room. They were usually categorized by age or importance Abby explained. Number 45, my new quarters which I'm sharing with nine other people. Abby gestured me inside the room. "I'm in number 40 if you need me. I'll get you for dinner in twenty minutes." She explained as she walked off to her own quarters. I suddenly felt lonely. Abby's loud personality is so new to me but I'm already missing her bubbliness. I looked around the quarters. Five sets of bunk beds were pushed up against the wall. A smaller room on the right was the bathroom. A large wardrobe was on the back wall. The walls were grey with a few spots of white. I heard the door squeak behind me and I jumped  when I saw a girl with light red hair standing, leaning on the door-frame.

"Krista, right?" She said. She had a petite body like mine but just a little shorter than me. She had chocolate brown eyes, she was pretty."Y-yes," I stuttered. She laughed as she extended a hand. "Becky, nice to meet you." She gave me a toothy grin as I shook her hand. "I can't believe I'm meeting you in person, I've heard so much about you. I wish I had powers." I laughed at her comment. "You definitely wouldn't want powers. Unless you want a whole group of people wanting you dead and you are always on the run." The words came out a little more harsher than I would've liked. She looked down to the ground embarrassed. "I-I'm sorry."

Great, a person who actually wanted to be my friend now probably hates me. "No, I should be sorry. It's just, I've been through a lot." She nodded as a smile returned on her face. I tried to change the subject. "Which bed is not taken?" I asked. "The other bed on my bunk is free. It's top if you don't mind, I'm not a big fan of heights." I smiled back and I nodded. It was the bed closest to the door which I liked, it's easier to escape if I had to.

She showed me around the room, explaining that in the one big wardrobe, each person has a little section. Also she told me about the bathroom restrictions. Showers are not to be longer than five minutes and a person only get's ten minutes to themselves before the doors automatically open. A little awkward but I understand, water restrictions and all.

A bell rung soon after and I became alert. Becky noticed my sudden jumpiness and laughed. "It's the meal time bell." Abby was standing outside when we walked out of the room. All three of us went to the dining hall. I found out that there are many dining halls and the people inside are ranked by status. People like Matt and Hilary are in number 90 and the less important people are in 110. Like the bedrooms, maximum is ten to each dining hall. Outside each door, a list of names were written. We started checking number 90 and guess what, my name was there. There was also only three other names. Hilary, Matt and someone called John. I said goodbye to the girls and reassured them after dinner I would find my way back to my quarters.

I opened the door to the dining hall and I was met with the delicious smell of food. The dining hall was different to other rooms. The flooring was wooden and the walls were painted black. There was a little perch with four trays sitting on it. Also one table in the middle of the room with ten seats around it. The room was a little small but I didn't mind. It looked like I was the first here. I tried to enjoy the peacefulness until the other three came walking in the room. I turned around and I saw Matt smiling. Hilary rolled her eyes and a man was standing behind them. He appeared to be in his late 40's with slicked back grey hair and a hint of stubble growing around his face. I assumed he was John. "Hi Krista," greeted Matt and I smiled at him.

"This is John, our father and the one plotting our plan." Hilary finally spoke up. John walked over to me and shook my hand. "Nice to meet you. We are lucky to have you on-board." He seemed very friendly, that's where Matt probably got it from; I don't know what happened to Hilary. "How come I'm here, I'm really not that important to be eating with people of such high status." I complimented, directed at John. He smiled and chucked. "Oh Krista, you are our most important piece of our plan. And don't worry, it won't be for much longer, once we get what we need." I blushed a little at the comment John made. "I'm starving; we can talk after dinner father." I looked at Matt as he replied to his father. I felt really awkward being here and I wanted to slip outside. I grabbed a bread roll from my tray and stuffed it behind my back without them noticing. I made up an excuse about I wasn't feeling well and I ran straight back to my quarters.

I closed the door behind me as the lights went on and I sat on my bed. I ate the bread roll in silence, when was the last time I ate something so...so edible. A second bell rang and I heard commotion outside as people started walking into the room. Four girls, about my own age walked into the room, including Becky. Those girls look really horrible so I decided I'll ignore them. I finished the rest of my roll and met Becky on her bed. I heard the girls who apparently live here laugh. My head snapped up as I saw, they were laughing at us. "The loser finally has a friend." One snapped, they were talking about Becky.

I looked over to Becky and she had a tear in her eye, these girls must've been giving her a hard time for a long time now. I stood up as I walked up to them. "What's your problem?" I yelled at them and they laughed once more. "The other loser is trying to be brave." One teased. I felt the energy run to my hands and I raised them at the girls. Water. Like a hose, a strong gush of water came out of my hands and hit them hard. They fell over, drenched. They screamed as they all ran to the bathroom. I laughed uncontrollably as I heard them screaming more in the bathroom. Shows them not to mess with me. I turned around to Becky who was laughing as much as me. I sat down again next to her, "thanks," she muttered. "Any time," I replied as I heard a knock on the door.

-----------

Teaser for chapter 6: Meeting time! But what’s it for?

Thx for reading. To the right is Bella Thorne, the actress who would play Becky.

HT12