Chapter 35

Previously:

He grabbed my arms and pulled me up. "What are yo-" I didn't finish before he crashed his lips on mine. He pulled me in closer to him and rested his arms on my waist. I was the one who pulled back first. "My life might not be as different as yours, but it's close to it." He said with the biggest smile I've ever seen from him...

------

Wh-what was that for?" I asked shocked. Zach's smile vanished and took a step back from me. "I really like you Krista." He admitted. "But I'm not going to stick around. Looks like you don't want me to." He turned around and was about to go down the stairs before I grabbed his arm. "I like you too." I blurted out. He turned to look at me, seeing if I was lying. I smiled and I stood on my tip-toes to kiss him.

It was only a soft kiss but it was enough to leave him wanting more. We stood forehead-to-forehead, I felt his breath fanning out against my face.

"Is Ruler 1 your dad?" I asked.

He sighed. "So you heard?" I nodded to say yes.

"I'm nothing like him, and I'll protect you from him for as long as I live."

I broke away from him and started running down the stairs, so he wouldn't see my blush forming on my cheeks. "Race you!" I called out as I ran down the winding staircase. Zach caught up so I climbed over the rail and dropped to the ground, gliding down carefully, using my air power. I reached the bottom as Zach was still running down the stairs. "Cheat!" He said as he jumped off the last step. "That's just how I am." I smirked.

I looked around the darkened base, looking for a way out. I saw a flash of green above a door. I clicked my fingers, producing fire and light and I walked over to the steel door. I opened it up easily but instead of the outside world, it was a long hallway. I'm never going to escape this hell...

"I'll go first." I stated as I started walking down the hallway, Zach right behind me. The hallway was exactly the same as the ones above our heads. But something wasn't right. Something dark was lurking these halls. With only my fire to lighten our surroundings, shadows looked like killers.

There were rooms on each side with the doors wide open, like people were running from something and never had the chance to close them. And all the rooms were either laboratories or operating rooms. My heartbeat was picking up and my body temperature dropped.

Near the end to this hallway, I heard dripping, coming from the room on my left. I turned to Zach. "I'm going in, watch the hallway." He nodded in agreement and stood outside the door, like a guard. I walked into the room and placed a hand on the wall. I felt my arm warm up as a jolt of electricity left it and turned the lights on.

It was an operating room. I turned to the table in the middle and covered my mouth so I wouldn't scream.

A single body, dead. It was unrecognisable from the blood coating it. An arm was dangling off the side, blood dripping from it. The cause of the sound. I walked over to it cautiously, scared it would jump up from the dead.

The blood was new. The body still warm. I turned to the door, I had to get out of here.

"What was there?" Zach asked.

"A body. Dead. Dripping with blood."

Zach stayed quiet after that. We turned right as we followed the hall. I checked more rooms. And each operating table I stumbled on, had a dead body on it. Some covered in blood, some not even touched. I had to get to the bottom of this. Zach stayed beside me as I was shaking like a mad-man. I felt like throwing up, curling up in a ball and hope that this is all a bad dream. But I'm not like that.

In one operating room, was a computer. A very old one, as big as a box. And it was sitting on a desk. I turned to the computer which was still on, and I clicked on the one file on the computer.

'Project Deadmare'

Objective: finding F2A in rebel soldiers.

Research: F2A found in two past rebel soldiers. No. 236 and 237. Known to be found in their two children. Child 479 was captured and killed by our forces. Child 480 has an unknown location. F2A was unknown in 480 until 5 years ago. 362 soldiers have been captured, none known to have F2A.

Information added: F2A cannot be passed on, only when they share the same blood. Otherwise patient must be dissected and tested once dead to have F2A passed on. Patients 236 and 237 had already passed on F2A to 480. But F2A in patient 479 was unable to be attained by scientists as F2A had disappeared by the time 479 was operated on.

They must be talking about my parents and an unknown sibling. I've heard that term F2A before...

-----

"They know about us. We have to leave." A man said, who had dark brown hair and blue eyes. "We can't leave Marlee." A woman said, who had electrifying blue eyes. "If we want her to be safe, we have to leave." The woman looked to the ground. "F2A. Our powers. All because of a stuff-up we made at the laboratories. An experiment gone wrong." The woman sighed.

"We have to go. Don't worry about F2A now. Marlee will be fine. Working in the laboratory gave us perks. Everything we've ever worked on has her initials on it. M.K. Marlee Kresin. She'll be able to use them, she'll be able to take down that evil man who is making us run. Ruler 1." The man explained.

The lady started sobbing. "What if they do what they did to Conner? They took him from us 6 years ago. He was only 9. And they murdered him. I don't want that to happen to Marlee."

"It won't. Because she'll stronger than Conner." The man comforted the woman, his wife. The litter girl listening in on her parents conversation ran to her bed and pretended to sleep. The two adults walked in soon after. Both placed a hand on the little girl's forehead. A blue light appeared over the little girl, burning slightly.

"She's got our F2A now. She'll be okay." The man whispered to his wife. Suddenly, the sound of a door coming off it's hinges rang through the house. The man ran out of the room and the woman quickly woke up her child, thinking she was sleeping. "Get up darling." The girls bright blue eyes opened and stared at her mother. "Sweety, I love you." She planted a kiss on the child's forehead. "Fight for me darling. Fight them for me." And with that, the woman ran out of the room. Fire erupted from nowhere, the soldiers that came for the couple set the house on fire. The child stayed in her room, her powers protecting her the whole time her house went down in flames...

-----

That was me. A memory. Of my parents.

------

Teaser for chapter 36: Do they get out of this madhouse? And more secrets are unraveled... What is the evil Ruler 1 up to?

Thx for reading

HT12