Chapter 18

One month later...

"They're ready!" I heard Hilary's snappy voice yell. "Well I don't think so!" John's calming voice, sounding angry yelled back. Zach placed a hand around my waist and brought me closer to him. Zach has not let me out of his sights since he got shot. He's told me it's because he doesn't want anyone to hurt me but a part of it I think it is because he likes being near me. And I love the attention from. I've spent a good amount of my life by myself, it's a refreshing change. I have seen a side of Zach that he hasn't opened up to anyone. His loving side, and absolutely adore it. I feel so privileged that he shows no one this side of him, except for me.

"What are they arguing about?" I whispered to him. "I don't know." Zach replied. "Shut up!" Matt's voice quieted the bickering family. Zach and I gave each other a look, Matt never raises his voice. I heard footsteps coming closer to the door as Hilary and John continued to argue. "Go!" I whispered loudly.

The problem is, Matt likes me. Yes in that way. No, I do not return the feelings but he's a good friend. He found out about Zach and I and he got upset. He really hates Zach, more than he did before. Whenever they see each other, one of them ends up hurt. But Matt now is trying to get closer to me. He always tries to be with me when I'm not with Zach. At least I get special treatment from the both of them.

Matt opened the door as Zach ran down the tunnel and entered one of the entertainment rooms called EFS (Entertainment For Subsisto). I found out about those a few weeks ago. That's where the Subsisto residents go in the day. There are about forty of those rooms. You just really hang out in them. There are cubicles if you feel like training (it's compulsory for everyone to train at least once a week). There are tables to play card and couches to talk with people. Then there is also a massive holographic screen in each that show old movies from last century. I watched a few when I was at the orphanage.

I looked over to Matt and smiled. "Are you okay?" He sighed as he ran his hands through his hair. "This mission is getting on my nerves. Hilary says we should be going soon, John says we should delay it." I nodded, understanding his words. Hilary and John walked out of the room and looked at us. "Meeting after curfew in room 1, be there, tell the others." Hilary ordered. The two of them walked off and left Matt and I by ourselves. "Krista, can I ask you a question?" Matt asked shyly. Oh no, I know what direction this is going in. "Sure," I hesitated. "Why do you like Zach? He doesn't deserve a girl like you-" I cut him off before he could continue. "Matt, my heart says otherwise."

He groaned. "He's just so, so infuriating!" Matt yelled. I placed my hand over his mouth. "Stop yelling." I said calmly as I removed my hand. "After the meeting, can I take you somewhere?" He asked after a minute of silence. "As friends; sure." He smiled as the bell rang for dinner. Matt walked off and I went to the EFS room Zach went into. I waited outside the room as people walked out. Zach didn't come out so I poked my head inside. Surprise surprise, he was with a group of girls. I don't like him talking to them but Zach always reassures me that I'm the only one for him. But now, all he does is talk to them. He's no playboy anymore with me. I waited, leaning on the door-frame. The walls were painted black and red, the Subsisto colours. I coughed and the girls heads whipped around to look at me. Zach's head also turned and he smiled as he saw me. "Nice talking to you ladies." Zach purred as he walked over to me. The girls eyes' were throwing daggers at me. Zach put his arm around my waist and I brought him closer to me on purpose. Let me make those girls jealous.

We walked to the dining hall. "We have a meeting after curfew." I explained and Zach nodded. "And then Matt wants to take me somewhere." I added. Zach froze and turned and grabbed my shoulders. "Don't go with him," Zach warned. "Matt's my friend, I trust him." Zach sighed. "Let me at least be close to you when your with him." Zach spat out the him. I hesitated but I gave in. "Fine." We reached the dining hall and I sat down after getting my tray. Zach was coming my way before Matt came and set his tray beside me. Zach rolled his eyes as he went and sit down by himself. I didn't eat anything other than a bread roll. Matt made some small talk before the bell rang.

I ran back to my quarters and I collapsed on my bed. I might get a good half an hour of sleep. I closed my eyes and I fell asleep just before everyone came into the room. I didn't sleep last night, I trained all the way up until wake-up bell.

"Just wake her up Becky." I heard a voice. "You do it Zach, she's your girlfriend." Becky said coldly. "I can wake myself up." I muttered. "Sleeping beauty awakens!" Zach sang. Becky and Zach were staring at me from the ground. I groaned. "How long have I been sleeping?" "An hour and the bell rings in three minute. Come on or we'll be late." Informed Zach. I stood up in bed. "Catch me." I instructed with a grin planted on my face. Zach laughed as he held his hands out. Becky was trying to hold in her giggles. I jumped but I jumped a metre away from Zach, on purpose. As I was in the air, I faced my palms to the ground and I felt a gush of air blow out of them. I was hovering. Zach and Becky were both looking at me. "Well I didn't have to catch you then." Zach walked underneath me. "Now you do." I stated as I closed my palms and I fell into Zach's strong arms. He smiled as he stared at my lips. We haven't kissed yet. "Let's go."

I waved goodbye to Becky as Zach carried me out of the room and to room 24. The bell rang as Zach put me down and we walked inside. Matt was sitting down next to Emet as Hilary and John were fighting. Matt saw us and smiled at me. I returned a smile. "Meeting's started." Matt's voice boomed through the room. We came and sat down at the table. Hilary took a deep breath in and started. "I have watched you all and thought about this thoroughly, you are all ready. We leave tomorrow at midnight." She announced.

This'll be fun...

--------------

Teaser for chapter 19: Krista meets up with Matt. But what happens? It’s definitely not what you’re thinking!

Thx for reading! Matt and Krista's meet-up is next chapter :)

I dedicate this chapter to @usernamehere07. She has supported me through this whole story and put up with my rambling about it :) She's an amazing writer and a heart of gold. Go over and read her fantastic new story!! If it wasn't for her, this story wouldn't exist!

HT12