Chapter 25

I saw light. Manufactured light. We're close, I don't know how this'll turn out. The plan isn't very thought-out. Get into the city, grab the Fortum and get out. We don't even know where the building that it's in is. Everyone became quiet after five minutes of walking. I like it, I've always been surrounded by silence. Emet is better at least but Hilary's gripping him by his arm to keep him going.

The road started to flatten out and I saw it. There was a big, metal gate, impossible to climb. It had barbed wire running along the top and the walls of the fence were made of solid metal. I started running towards it, excited for what lays ahead. Everyone else realised and started running. The gate was getting closer and closer before I stopped. I was only a few feet away from the gate but I heard the faint buzzing noise of electricity running.

It wasn't coming from the gate.

I took a few steps back and noticed the gate 'rippling'. Everyone stopped and stood next to me. "It's a force-field." I muttered. I turned to Emet. "This force-field is powered with electricity, do you have something to stop the current and disable it?" I asked. "I think I do but it'll need a few minor tweaks to it." I nodded as he grabbed something out of a satchel slung around his neck. I turned to Hilary and Matt. "Go look for security cameras and make note of them. Once we get in we will dismantle them and I have an idea on dismantling all of them in the city." The two nodded. I turned to Zach. "You and I will figure out a weak spot in the force-field." I went to Emet and asked for something. I came back with five video phones. "If something happens, tell us immediately. keep these on you." I said as I started handing out the phones. Everyone  dispersed and Emet sat down on the ground looking at a machine and every few seconds pushing his big glasses back up on the bridge of his nose.

I turned to Zach. "I've dealt with force-fields before, just not as big as this one. This one goes on top of the whole city. Let's see the damage this one can do." I picked a small pebble off the ground and handed it to Zach. I gestured to the wall ahead of us and he threw it. Bright sparks shot out when the pebble collided with the wall. The rock was sent about a mile away in the direction we were coming from. I then saw flames in the distance. This force-field is powerful, it'll kill us in seconds. "How do we find weak spots?" Zach asked. "It's not in the matter of finding them but creating them." I stated.

"The electricity can be weakened at high levels of heat for a very long time, years even. I'll shoot by fire but I need you to help me. Keep me planted to the ground because when I use my powers for a long amount of time and at great strength, I usually find myself flying backwards." I explained. He nodded and I stepped back and planted my feel shoulder-width on the ground. Zach came and stood next to me as he laced an arm around my waist and held it there securely. I placed my palms out and a bright red flame shot out and to the barrier. I heard sizzling and crackling coming from the force-field  and I knew it was working. I pushed my powers for a long time and Zach kept me in place.

It felt like the fire was burning my arms to ashes. I couldn't take it, no, I have to stop. But the barrier hasn't weakened yet. My breaths were becoming laboured and my head was becoming dizzy and black spots blurred my vision. My body was shaking uncontrollably but Zach's protective arm was keeping me safe. "I can't do this anymore." I groaned and Zach's grip became harder. "Keep going Krista. Only a little more." He soothed. I closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing.

BAM!

Red shot from the barrier and sparks flew. "Get down!" Zach yelled as he pulled me to the ground. He brought me close and shielded me with his body. The weird noises from the force-field stopped and Zach let me go hesitantly. I stood up and brushed the dirt off my pants. The barrier looked the same except for the blackened ash stuck on it. I didn't feel well. My head was spinning and I felt like I could throw up. I placed my head in my hands and pleaded the dizziness to stop. "What's wrong?" Zach asked after standing up. "It's the aftermath of over-using my powers." I groaned. "There's tablets in the belt that numb the brain and therefore numb interior pain. It still lets you perform as you usually do but you won't feel anything for an hour. Unfortunately it doesn't work on wounds." He explained. I searched my belt and found the tablets and swallowed two dry. It was working instantly and the dizziness was gone. So was the burning in my arms.

"How did you know about the tablets?" I asked. "Emet told me. He told me about everything in the belt. Wasn't the funnest conversation but still helpful." I chuckled as I felt my legs get numb. They were still working but if I was hit with a bullet, I wouldn't feel it. "I got it!" I heard a faint scream for joy. Emet. "Everyone over here!" I commanded as Hilary and Matt came arguing and Emet looking at a little machine. I glanced over at the twins. "What are you guys arguing about now?" They shot a look at each other. "Twin stuff." They said at the same time. I then looked at Emet. "So?" A smile crawled onto his face and he started talking about his invention.

"This is called the Emetniser 2000, named after me obviously. The original machine could only disable weak electrical currents. This machine uses electromagnetic pulses to disable greater currents for longer periods of time. Meaning that the Emetniser 2000 can stop the force-field for a good five minutes." I tuned out of all the scientific talk from Emet but I understood his last line.

"Well let's get this machine up and working."

------------

Teaser for chapter 26: Hilary opens up to Krista and tells her a secret that no one else knows. Another Matt and Zach fight, but what about this time? And do they got over the force-field?

Thx for reading!!! Thank you all for 1K reads! I changed the cover to celebrate!

HT12