Chapter 11

I've been counting the seconds in my head. It's been about three hours and I've had no sleep whatsoever. London was snoring her head off, I wish I could stuff a pillow in her mouth to shut her up. I was plotting. Maybe I could create a wall of rock around her bed. Oh it doesn't matter, I still won't get any sleep. I tossed and turned. One time I was hot, the other I was freezing.

I give up...

I sat up in bed and climbed down the ladder. I tried the door, thankfully it was unlocked. I stepped out of the room and felt the cool air of the tunnel. I realised that I was just wearing one of the uniform shirts but only bigger. It touched the top of my thighs. I started walking closer to the grate. I walked at my own pace, it was a good time to think. Especially about my own mission, get out of the Enfirma's grasp. I'm sick of running. I want friends, I want a family when I'm older. I probably won't even live long enough.

I broke down. Five years of holding it in has finally taken it's toll. The tears were like a tap. I sat on the ground and I brought my legs up and cried into them. I hate it, I hate feeling weak. But I'm just sick everything.  My vision was blurred but I brought my palm up but I faced myself. Fire was always the most dangerous, I was scared when I used it. I closed my eyes as the tears fell freely from my face.

"Stop!" I heard someone yell out but my palm stayed where it was. I opened my eyes and stared at my hands. "Stop!" The voice was getting closer until someone grabbed my hands. I closed my eyes again and cried as I felt somebody stand me up. I felt a warm body bring me into an embrace. I cried into the persons chest. The person brought me closer to them. I opened my eyes and looked at the person.

Zach.

Am I surprised, a little. He tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear. I cried for a long time and Zach kept me in his arms. I don't know anything about this boy but he-he saved me. Once the tears stopped, I looked up once more. Zach was looking into my eyes. "H-how did you know I was here?" I stuttered. "I heard you leave the room, I followed, to see if you were okay. Krista, don't scare me like that again." I could not stop staring into his eyes. "I'm just sick of running. Sick of people wanting me dead." Zach nodded as he let go of me and sat against the wall. He gestured for me to sit down and I did.

I made sure there was space between us and Zach noticed this so he sat a little closer. "I know, your future isn't guaranteed but you know what, the truth is that we don't know what's going to happen tomorrow or the day after that or the day after that. Life is a crazy ride and nothing is ever guaranteed." Zach's words really touched me. I nodded as I sighed. "No one gets it, I have no friends, no family, nothing." I felt my eyes water. "Krista, always know, I might act horrible and cruel but I will always be there for you. I've only known you a day but I think we could be great friends."

Friend-zoned, ouch, that hurt. But then again, he thinks of me as a friend. He yawned and stood up. "You might want to be well rested for tomorrow, we better get to sleep." I stood up and he offered a hand. I took it as we walked back to our quarters. Zach opened the door quietly and whispered in my ear. "I hate you." I smiled at his joke. I could tell he was smiling also. "I hate you too," I whispered back. I walked over to my bed and climbed up. I fell asleep shortly after, I could still feel Zach's warm body around me.

---

Teaser for chapter 12: A little girl fight including powers ;) And the crew explore the outside world of Verto...What’s there that makes them all scared?

Short chapter!! Hope you enjoyed. Thanks for reading!!!

HT12