Chapter 16

Krista P.O.V.

I was speechless. Zach's eyes were searching mine. They looked desperate. I had so many emotions running through me. He was the first boy that's told me he loves me.

"Krista, you are beautiful, smart and brave. I'm so sorry that I tried to kill you. I really do love you." Zach said. I took a deep breath in. Let me see the pros and cons. Pro, I really like him, con, he just tried to kill me. A thought flew through my head, is what he's saying true? Does he say this to all the girls he thinks are hot? Or worse, is it a trap for the Enfirma?

"Zach, how can I believe these feelings are real. Love is a strong word." His face dropped in sadness. "I know it's a strong word and I have feelings that run deep for you. The feelings are real." "Then can you prove them?" He thought about this. "I will never look at another girl."

"Okay, do that. As if you'll be able to." He looked at me angrily. "Thanks, thanks a lot. I am sick and tired of people questioning me and think that I can't do anything. I really thought you didn't have it in you to judge me so easily. I've been through as much as you've been through. Next time, think before you blurt out." He was mad, that's for sure. He stormed away from me and jumped into the grate. It became increasingly colder after Zach left.

I was way too harsh on him, I should go and apologise. I've never been a trusting person, just because I've been betrayed too many times.  I had a slither of hope that his feelings were, Zach doesn't lie. My thoughts were spinning in my head so I went back down to the tunnel and walked to my room. Everyone was asleep. I saw Zach in his bed, tossing around. I climbed up the ladder and I laid down in my bed. "Zach, I'm sorry for what I said, will you forgive me. But let me think about this." I whispered. "Whatever." He grunted.

He's still really mad at me...

I couldn't sleep. I stared up at the ceiling thinking. I raised my hand and started clicking my fingers. Fire on. Fire off. Repeat. "Stop doing that." Someone moaned, it was Zach. "Make me," I muttered under my breath. Zach sat up in bed and jumped over to my bed. "What are you doing?" I whispered as I sat up. He sat next to me and grabbed my hand and squeezed it tightly. "This is the only way you'll stop that." I rolled my eyes. "Can you go?" "Make me," he mocked me. "Oh don't push me Zachary," I joked. "Stop calling me that." "What?" "Zachary." I ignored the question and looked to our interlocked hands. "I am sorry for before," I said quickly. He looked at me and sighed. "It's fine. I understand why you don't believe me, so that's why I'll make you believe."

I could sense he was smiling so I smiled back. He yawned. "You might not like sleep but I do, I'll see you tomorrow." Zach whispered and I nodded. He let go of my hand and jumped back over to his bed. I laid down once more and closed my eyes.

-------

The bell sounded. I jumped up out of bed and grabbed my clothes for today and took a shower. I could've used a few more hours of sleep. I walked out of the bathroom and over to Becky who was looking over at Zach. "What's up?" I asked her. "I really liked him Kris." She muttered. I really don't like the nickname but I let her say it. "Zach was not right for you at all Becky." I comforted her. The bell rang soon for breakfast and I walked to the dining hall.

I had Zach in my sights all day. I missed training to spy on him. He did not talk to one girl! They threw themselves at him, that's for sure but he shrugged them off. He stayed to himself and only talked to a few guy friends his made. He's keeping his word, that's for sure.

--------

One week later

"Not one girl?" "Not one."

I was sitting next to Becky before the bell would ring for curfew. I told her about me and Zach, even if nothing's really happened. She's jealous but she covers it up with curiosity. Zach's kept his promise and I'm starting to believe his words...starting. The bell rung and lights went out. I moaned as I searched my way to the ladder until I felt a warm hand around my waist. "Come with me." That captivating and absolutely gorgeous voice, Zach's. My feelings have gotten much deeper for Zach. I'm starting to fall in love. I've nearly cracked away that playboy exterior to show his kind self. I love that. I haven't talked about my feelings for him yet.

Zach led me out of the room and down the tunnel. We then sat down on the ground. "What's wrong?" I asked him. "I just needed some fresh air and I love talking to you so I brought you along." I smiled at his remark until I heard something. A gun reloading.

I jumped up with my palms facing out. Zach heard it also and jumped up. He got in front of me, protecting me with his body. "Who's there!" He called out and a man in a cloak appeared in front of us. I recognised it at the Enfirma but a much more important one if he wears the cloak. The ones that go for me are usually just wearing casual clothing.

"Zachary, you haven't completed your mission. You-know-who is very upset." The cloaked man said. "I don't care, I'm not going to let her be killed. You can't touch her without going through me." Zach grabbed my hand and I squeezed it. "Run," he muttered. I looked over to the quarters and ran for it. I heard shots come after me and then footsteps. I turned my head and I saw Zach running also. He caught up with me. We ran close together. Another shot blew and I turned around. Bad idea. Zach jumped in front of me and my heart stopped. The man in the cloak realised what he did and disappeared into thin air. Zach landed on the floor and he groaned. I froze. He's been shot. I knelt down next to him and I saw blood coming out of his shoulder-blade.

I held pressure on the wound but I didn't know what to do. Zach had passed out but it looked like he was dead. "Help!" I screamed out. It didn't take long before I saw John, Hilary and Matt run out. They saw Zach and me. I didn't realised that I started crying. John and Matt picked up Zach and ran him to the surgery. Hilary stayed with me, trying to comfort me. She was being nice for once. I cried my heart out.

He risked his life for me...

------------

Teaser for chapter 17: Is Zach okay? Will he live? All will be revealed!

Thanks for reading!!!

HT12