Chapter 22

"Let's go." Zach muttered. I got up from the bed and we walked out of the room and closed the door behind us. We jogged to room 24 which the door was wide open. We walked in and everyone was hovering around the table. Everyone was dressed in their uniforms. Hilary was standing over a map and I could see the gears in her mind turning. Her head snapped up at us and rolled the map up. "We leave, now. The truck is waiting for us. It's going to be a long drive to Notiet."

We walked out of the room and to the grate where we all jumped out. I ignored the death glares from Matt as we walked to the truck. I recognised the logo on the side, it was a food delivery truck for the richer people in society. Hilary ran up to the man leaning against the red truck. He walked up to the back and rolled up the door. There were a large amount of boxes in the back and no seats, just great. The man and Hilary jumped into the driving portion of the truck and closed the doors behind them. The rest of us got into the storage part of the truck. Matt closed the door behind us and the truck sprung to life.

I pushed myself up against the wall to keep me from falling. I clicked my fingers and concetrated on my hands. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I felt the power in my hands as I cupped them together. When I opened my hands was a bright light made into a ball. I let it go and it illuminated the truck. I made a few more until the whole inside of the truck was bright. I looked around to everyone. Emet sat himself down cross-legged inbetween a bunch of boxes with his electronic tablet in his hands. Matt was leaning against one of the walls eyeing one of the boxes. Zach, he was staring at me. I caught his gaze and I quickly looked away but he didn't. His eyes never left me.

A few hours passed and Emet fell asleep. How much can that boy snore! I felt like shaking him awake and slapping him because of his face trumpet. I sighed as I sat myself down uncomfortably and I leaned my head against a box that smelt funny. I groaned, I'm not sleeping tonight, am I? My little lights started to fade and the lighting got dimmer. It wasn't long before it was completely pitch black. It got really cold all of a sudden and I started shivering. I brought my knees up to my chest and hugged them for warmth. I heard a noise and then someone sat down next to me. I turned my head but I didn't recognise who it was in the darkness. "It's only me." I heard a whisper, Zach's.

He sat closer to me and whispered into my ear. "I hate you." I could sense his smile and I found myself smiling at our little joke. "I hate you too." He chuckled. "We finally agree on something. I wish we still agreed on our feelings to each other." I looked at him, trying to find the glisten in his eyes. "Zach, you kissed my best friend, I have every right to have mixed feelings." He sighed. "I still want to be friends although." "I think I could manage that, if you tell me what really happened with Becky."

Zach nodded. "She called me to talk to her so once the bell rang, I got up to see what she wanted. She grabbed me and kissed me. I couldn't get her off me, Krista, you gotta believe me." I thought about this. I don't want to forgive him and I don't want to get back to him but I guess, keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer. Yes, I regard him as an enemy now. Because of him, I could be dead. I'll play along with this friendship thing, for now. And also, if Matt decides to kill me in my sleep, Zach would protect me.

I'm going to play Zach like he played me.

"I believe you Zach, I want to be friends again." I lied. Zach brought me into a tight embrace. I used to melt in these, now, I feel cold in his hugs. I rested my head on his chest and closed my eyes. He ran his hand through my head. I started drifting off to sleep but before I did, I heard Zach whisper something barely audible. "I love you." The words sent shivers down my spine. How could he say that when he doesn't mean it?

------------

Gunshot

Skid

Crash...

-------------

Teaser for chapter 23: Does anyone die? Krista discovers a new power she didn’t know she had. But what is it?

Cliffhanger peoples!!! Short chapter but I need more reads! Spread the word because it means a lot to me. And thank you to all my readers who keep reading all my chapters! I'm sorry for the slow updates but for me, school comes first. That sounded really lame but it's true!

HT12