Chapter 27

"Be careful up there!" Zach called. I turned and faced the camera. I quickly took my backpack off and searched for my knife. I felt the handle in my grasp and took it out carefully. I put my backpack on and held the knife securely. Red, blue, yellow. That's the order to cut the wires to dismantle it. I got the pointed part of the knife on one of the screws which held the camera-back in place and started to take it off. Before you knew it, the camera-back was in my hands. Inside was a mesh of wiring and flashing lights. I found the wires I had to cut instantly but something caught my eye.

I looked at this and thought deeply. I've seen it before...but where? It was the initials M.K etched onto the camera. I've seen the initials on other pieces of electronics I've found over the years. Usually door panels, cameras, pin codes, the important things. The government things. But the initials bring back memories, but they're fuzzy. Memories of white lab coats and laboratories...And hugs.

I ignore the initials as I cut the wires carefully, not to touch any others. Once I cut the yellow wire, the buttons that were flashing, stopped. The lens closed down and the camera fell limp.

One last step.

To dismantle them all, a special electrical message must be sent to all cameras. But these are all connected, as are all government technology. I create this electrical message as I usually create electricity. I have all four elements at my command but sometimes others develop on the way. Electricity is one. So is the healing one. But I mix electricity with fire which burns the connective system and therefore, sends the message to burn the camera. Not literally the cameras flash on fire, but the insides turn to ash. I felt my hands burn as I placed them on the camera and I saw flashes of white and red in the camera. Then that power travelled at top speeds to the others. Sparks flew from everywhere, signaling that the message is blowing the cameras up. I jumped but took my palms out a the right time that sent me gliding to the ground.

BAM!

The cameras were down...all of them.

And the beauty of this is that the soldiers will never know because the cameras send old footage to the computers. I faced the others. "Go check some of the other cameras and see if they're shut down." I ordered. They dispersed and I waited by the gate, clicking my fingers. I felt really tired so I sat down and rested my head against the gate and closed my eyes.

I must've dosed off a little after. Once I woke up, the sun was glaring in my eyes. I looked around me and the others were sleeping. From the sun's position, it looks about 10am. I started to shake everyone up, we have to keep going.

I started a walk around the gate and had an idea to get over the fence. I started to create a staircase out of the concrete but it wasn't working. I couldn't manipulate it. I stopped after a few minutes and I started to survey the area. Everything was the same. Then I thought...

It's my powers.

I've been using it on overdrive. And this is what I get for overusing it. It's happened before quite a few times. Only a few more hours, it'll be back but for now, I can't use it in large amounts. I walked to the others. "I can't use my powers, is there another way over?"

The others looked to each other. "Rope and a grip is the best we can do." Hilary informed. I looked up. "It would be impossible to attach the grip to something on the gate." I fussed. "If someone can climb over, they can hold onto the rope as the others climb." Zach suggested.

Good idea. But who'll climb?

"Bags not climbing!" Emet yipped and I chuckled at his enthusiasm to not do manual labour. "Shot not!" The twins called at the same time. I turned to Zach. "Not me!" He exclaimed. I started to mutter gibberish mixed with swears under my breath. Why didn't I just call not to?

I faced the gate and looked up. I did have an idea on how I can climb. I attempted this after recalling a memory of watching an old movie called "Spiderman". I might not be bitten by a spider but I can create that grip with my hands...minus the spider powers. I looked to my hands and willed them to change. I felt them burn but when I placed my hand on the gate, it stuck there.

With using all my upper-body strength, I pushed myself up and all the way to the top and I maneuvered my body over the barbed wire, like I've done so many times before. Once I got over the wire, I climbed down.

I was on the other side.

I looked around and there weren't any guards. No one was around this area of the gate. Soon after, a rope was thrown over and I held it tightly as everyone started coming over. Zach, Hilary, Emet and then Matt. It was hilarious watching Emet trying to get over the barbed wire. His pants got stuck on it and as he climbed down, they ripped straight off. He was dangling on a rope with no pants on.

Once he got down, he was darker than a beetroot. Hilary gave him a spare pair and he got changed into the pants. I surveyed the area. It was very mechanical. The one colour used everywhere was grey. Things were angled and shiny. There were hundreds of buildings that all looked the same. And it kept going like that for miles. A few things stood out, like the tallest building that stood straight in the centre of the city. I took the guess that that'll be the building the Fortum is in. 

Now, the real mission started...

------------

Teaser for chapter 28: Blending in might be hard, so how do the crew do it? Also a little Zach and Krista time, does the relationship plummet or sky-rocket?

Thx for reading!

HT12