Night Terrors - Two

Let's just say I'm feeling generous and I didn't want to do the coursework I really should be doing right now, so I decided to not completely waste my time thus there is a chapter.

-Ev

-----

The Doctor and the Stone stood side by side looking at the cupboard. Alex stood behind them. George peered out from behind his father to watch the Doctor who stepped closer to the cupboard. He practically jumped out of his skin with the other three when the lift started up. The Stone sighed and placed a hand over her hearts. The Doctor gave her a concerned look and grasped the Time Lady's hand. Using his other to unlock the cupboard and open it. The creaking from the door echoed into the room. He leapt backwards, pulling his wife with him and then frowned. The cupboard was occupied by hangers with clothes on and toys at the bottom. The most eye-catching one being the dolls house.

"I don't understand it." He frowned. "It has to be the cupboard. The readings from the sonic screwdriver, they were-" his eyes widened meeting the Stones who held the same expression. The two then darted out of the little boy's bedroom. The Stone clutching the photo album. "How old is George, Alex?" The Doctor asked. His eyes shifting from the man to his wife who flicked through the pages.

"What?" He looked at them confused. "How old?"

"Yes." The Doctor nodded his eyes showing slight fear. "How old is George?"

"Well, I told you. Just turned eight."

"So you remember when he was born, then?"

"Of course."

"Course you do." He said in agreement. "How could you not?"

"You and Claire." The Stone pointed at a photo of the two who was smiling at a photo. "Christmas Eve, 2002, right?"

"What?" He blinked. "Er yeah."

"Couple of weeks before George was born. Tell me about the day he arrived." The Doctor said. "Must have been wonderful."

Alex smiled. "Well, it was the best day of my-" He then stopped. His eyes changed from happiness to fear as he stared at the Doctor. "life."

"Sure?" The Stone asked.

"Yes."

"You don't sound sure."

"What are you trying to say?" He asked the Doctor. "Look, I don't like this." He pointed at the open door. "I've told you before, I want you to go."

"What's the matter, Alex?"

"I can't." He rubbed his head. "Oh, don't. Oh, this is scary."

"No, Alex, this is scary." The Stone flicked the page. "Claire with baby George. Newborn, yes?"

"Yes."

"Less than a month after Christmas." The Doctor said turning it back.

"So?"

"So look." The Doctor flipped the page again. "Look." He pressed on. "Claire's not pregnant."

"What?"

"Not pregnant." The Stone said.

"Well, of course not." He exclaimed. "Claire can't have kids!"

The Time Lords stared at him as he stared back at them. "Say that again." The Stone asked.

"We tried everything. She was desperate. As much IVF as we could afford, but. Claire can't have kids." He then blinked in realisation. "How?" He asked. "How can I have forgotten that?"